Dec 20, 2012, 11:13 AM EST
Ordinarily, a 19-year-old American striker going into Scotland’s top side at the moment would be a recipe for failure. Not that Juan Agudelo isn’t good enough; He really is a brilliant prospect, 19 years old and already the youngest man to score for the United States national team.
Still, Celtic is Christmas stocking stuffed with top talent, and Agudelo would likely have issues finding playing time for the Glasgow club. This is a part of the “playing abroad” equation that has not changed in 20 years, as young U.S. talent evaluated career options.
In this case, it might be the best thing for young Agudelo, who is training with the Scottish giants. And they apparently like what they see.
Celtic has already decided not to pursue one talented youngster, but officials certainly sound as if they are kicking the tires on Agudelo. And it might just be best for the young striker, because he is currently property of Chivas USA. That’s the same Chivas USA that has long been a mess and, somehow, maybe be devolving into even more of one.
Changes lately have only served to ask more questions about Chivas USA’s direction than answer any of them.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"