Dec 20, 2012, 11:13 AM EDT
Ordinarily, a 19-year-old American striker going into Scotland’s top side at the moment would be a recipe for failure. Not that Juan Agudelo isn’t good enough; He really is a brilliant prospect, 19 years old and already the youngest man to score for the United States national team.
Still, Celtic is Christmas stocking stuffed with top talent, and Agudelo would likely have issues finding playing time for the Glasgow club. This is a part of the “playing abroad” equation that has not changed in 20 years, as young U.S. talent evaluated career options.
In this case, it might be the best thing for young Agudelo, who is training with the Scottish giants. And they apparently like what they see.
Celtic has already decided not to pursue one talented youngster, but officials certainly sound as if they are kicking the tires on Agudelo. And it might just be best for the young striker, because he is currently property of Chivas USA. That’s the same Chivas USA that has long been a mess and, somehow, maybe be devolving into even more of one.
Changes lately have only served to ask more questions about Chivas USA’s direction than answer any of them.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 7
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 27
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 4
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (27)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (10)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team