Dec 20, 2012, 2:45 PM EDT
Gosh, it’s exhausting covering Major League Soccer. Gale Agbossoumonde’s signing isn’t the only news of the day. Far from it, in fact.
First, we have the Los Angeles Galaxy snagging Homegrown player Gyasi Zardes. The 21-year-old forward is a former product of the club’s U-18 and U-20 academies and scored 33 goals in 37 games over the last two seasons at CSU Bakersfield.
“I am extremely excited about the opportunity to join the LA Galaxy,” Zardes said in a statement. “The chance to play in front of family and friends and alongside the likes of Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan truly is a dream come true… I am looking forward to working hard and helping the Galaxy defend their MLS Cup title next season.”
Because what LA needs is more talent.
Elsewhere, the Generation Adidas class signs a pair of centerbacks in Louisville’s Andrew Farrell and Furman’s Walker Zimmerman. Farrell should be the No. 1 pick. Ives Galarcep also reports that senior John Stertzer, Dillon Powers, and Carlos Alvarez have signed contracts with Major League Soccer. Finally, at least for now, the Columbus Crew sign Akron defender Chad Barson to a HGP deal.
This is all good news. MLS is missing out on a few big names, but the GA class will keep growing and adding players. The 2013 draft should be deep with college and international talent. If you’re a GM, you have to be happy with the options.
Not coming to the party, however, will be Duke defender Sebastien Ibeagha, who is staying in school for his senior season. We can’t say we’re surprised. It’s getting mighty crowded up in here.
- Klinsmann confirms Brad Guzan will start Confederations Cup playoff in goal 0
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 7
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0