Dec 20, 2012, 2:45 PM EDT
Gosh, it’s exhausting covering Major League Soccer. Gale Agbossoumonde’s signing isn’t the only news of the day. Far from it, in fact.
First, we have the Los Angeles Galaxy snagging Homegrown player Gyasi Zardes. The 21-year-old forward is a former product of the club’s U-18 and U-20 academies and scored 33 goals in 37 games over the last two seasons at CSU Bakersfield.
“I am extremely excited about the opportunity to join the LA Galaxy,” Zardes said in a statement. “The chance to play in front of family and friends and alongside the likes of Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan truly is a dream come true… I am looking forward to working hard and helping the Galaxy defend their MLS Cup title next season.”
Because what LA needs is more talent.
Elsewhere, the Generation Adidas class signs a pair of centerbacks in Louisville’s Andrew Farrell and Furman’s Walker Zimmerman. Farrell should be the No. 1 pick. Ives Galarcep also reports that senior John Stertzer, Dillon Powers, and Carlos Alvarez have signed contracts with Major League Soccer. Finally, at least for now, the Columbus Crew sign Akron defender Chad Barson to a HGP deal.
This is all good news. MLS is missing out on a few big names, but the GA class will keep growing and adding players. The 2013 draft should be deep with college and international talent. If you’re a GM, you have to be happy with the options.
Not coming to the party, however, will be Duke defender Sebastien Ibeagha, who is staying in school for his senior season. We can’t say we’re surprised. It’s getting mighty crowded up in here.
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 4
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 11
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 3
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 3
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2