Dec 20, 2012, 2:45 PM EST
Gosh, it’s exhausting covering Major League Soccer. Gale Agbossoumonde’s signing isn’t the only news of the day. Far from it, in fact.
First, we have the Los Angeles Galaxy snagging Homegrown player Gyasi Zardes. The 21-year-old forward is a former product of the club’s U-18 and U-20 academies and scored 33 goals in 37 games over the last two seasons at CSU Bakersfield.
“I am extremely excited about the opportunity to join the LA Galaxy,” Zardes said in a statement. “The chance to play in front of family and friends and alongside the likes of Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan truly is a dream come true… I am looking forward to working hard and helping the Galaxy defend their MLS Cup title next season.”
Because what LA needs is more talent.
Elsewhere, the Generation Adidas class signs a pair of centerbacks in Louisville’s Andrew Farrell and Furman’s Walker Zimmerman. Farrell should be the No. 1 pick. Ives Galarcep also reports that senior John Stertzer, Dillon Powers, and Carlos Alvarez have signed contracts with Major League Soccer. Finally, at least for now, the Columbus Crew sign Akron defender Chad Barson to a HGP deal.
This is all good news. MLS is missing out on a few big names, but the GA class will keep growing and adding players. The 2013 draft should be deep with college and international talent. If you’re a GM, you have to be happy with the options.
Not coming to the party, however, will be Duke defender Sebastien Ibeagha, who is staying in school for his senior season. We can’t say we’re surprised. It’s getting mighty crowded up in here.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park