Dec 20, 2012, 1:33 PM EDT
The once-promising, quickly derailed career of Gale Agbossoumonde might be getting back on the right track. The former U-20 centerback signed a contract with Major League Soccer and will be assigned to a team through a weighted lottery later today.
Toronto FC are the heavy favorites for “Boss,” with the LA Galaxy, the Seattle Sounders, FC Dallas, and two other teams also entering. UPDATE: TFC wins.
Wherever he ends up, Agbossoumonde will finally have some stability. He signed with Traffic after turning pro, bouncing from Sporting Braga to Estoril Praia to Djurgarden to Eintracht Frankfurt. A year ago, he turned down a contract from MLS, choosing to play for the Carolina Railhawks. He was hurt for most of the season, however, and did not see much time on the field. (More about his long trip here.)
At his best, Agbossoumonde can be a dominant defender. He’s strong in the air and quick, earning a senior team cap in 2010 when the American’s traveled to South Africa for the Nelson Mandela Cup. (Juan Agudelo won his first cap in that game as well.)
But the 21-year-old talent needs playing time. He hasn’t played regularly, well, really ever, and struggled during the U-20 World Cup qualification in Guatemala. Ironically, his difficulties — playing while running toward his goal, distribution — are quite similar to those of Oguchi Onyewu, another massive centerback who has been injury prone and is working to come back.
But overall, this is a good move for the league and the player. MLS gets a guy who could develop into an excellent defender and Agbossoumonde gets a home to call his own. With patience and training, he could go far.
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Jamie Carragher set to close out his 16-year career at Anfield 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Washington Spirit at Portland Thorns FC 1
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago