Dec 21, 2012, 9:25 AM EDT
Real Madrid wiz Cristiano Ronaldo says he enjoyed his six years around Old Trafford, the time spent as a Manchester United man under Sir Alex Ferguson.
So he will honor the soccer tradition of not celebrating should he score against his old club in the coming Champions League Round of 16.
Real Madrid and Manchester United is the top matchup in the Round of 16 draw conducted Thursday in Switzerland, dripping with subplots. There’s also the old Jose Mourinho vs. Ferguson rivalry, plus the fact that one of these Euro heavies will fail to find the Champions League quarterfinals.
What Ronaldo told the Spanish newspaper AS:
I won’t celebrate if I score against United. I still speak with Ferguson. I miss him a lot, and I miss Manchester United. I felt very good there, it was like a family.
“I had six great years there and am still friends with my teammates. It is thanks to Manchester United that I am here playing for Real Madrid. Without them, I wouldn’t be the player I am today.”
They did share some good times together, didn’t they? Ronaldo cut ties with Old Trafford in 2009, making the big move to Real Madrid.
While at Manchester United, Ronaldo and the Red Devils claimed three Premier League titles and one Champions League crown.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 4
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million