Dec 21, 2012, 4:37 PM EST
Expect a steady stream of this in the days / weeks ahead …
“Harry Redknapp wants (fill in the blank) for QPR.”
Queens Park Rangers, under new and well-heeled ownership, were once desperate to get into the Premiership. So they spent and spent and managed the breakthrough.
Once they made it, they spent and spent some more trying to crack the Premiership’s upper echelon. Only, it didn’t take – and now the club finds itself fighting the relegation monster.
With Harry Redknapp now in charge, you just knew he would be nibbling at every juicy little morsel of a name that came through.
Today we give you newest QPR target, Nicolas Anelka, who is 33. And who scored a whopping three goals in 22 appearances for his Chinese team, Shanghai Shenhua. You can turn that number over, spin it around, shake it up and examine it from every possible angle, and there is no way it is going to look any better.
Perhaps Anelka could provide some depth and push the others, but is he really the best, most economical choice? Redknapp says he won’t bite on a bad figure out of desperation.
It’s what you can afford and whether you think he can do the job you want. He’ s a top player so he’s a player we would be interested in, but whether we can afford it.
“I think the chairman [Tony Fernandes] knows Nicolas’ people. He’s got a few details on what it would be but it depends, just how expensive the whole package comes to. If it’s within reason he certainly could improve your team.
“Whoever we bring in here as got to be the right type. We can’t afford to load up again, with people who aren’t the right type. … People think they can screw you into the ground because you’re desperate, because you’re going to get relegated, but we’re not going to fall into that trap. They’ll ask 6 million [pounds] when the player’s worth 3 milllion.”
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 1
- Schalke 0-5 Chelsea: Blues with an untouchable performance against old boss 0
- Lionel Messi breaks Raul’s record for Champions League goals (video) 0
- LIVE – Champions League: Manchester City vs. Bayern Munich, Chelsea to Schalke 0
- Report: Sony will not renew sponsorship with FIFA over future World Cup shroud 3