Dec 21, 2012, 11:52 AM EDT
The MLS Cup runner-ups Houston Dynamo and general manager Chris Canetti, a Connecticut native, are organizing a Soccer Night Out for grief stricken Newtown.
Canetti told FOX 26 Sports that he and several prominent players will visit Newtown on Jan. 7 to stage an event similar to one they have held in and around Houston.
He said the players involved will include Brad Davis, Brian Ching, Ricardo Clark, Corey Ashe and Tally Hall – four starters and one key, veteran backup in the Dynamo’s recent MLS Cup runner-up dash.
The title for the event is called Soccer Night in Newtown. We have a similar event that we put on here in Houston called Soccer Night Out where we bring a lot of our resources out to the community and have a little bit of fun with our players. We’ve kind of duplicated the idea in a smaller fashion several thousand miles of way.
“I think we all try to find ways to help and lend a hand. We’ve figured out a small way to help this community which happens to be a very, very rich youth soccer community.
“It’ll be fan-festival type of event, taking photos, signing autographs. The idea is to give kids a chance to come out, have some fun, have some memories and take a diversion from the difficult realities that they’re facing right now.”
Canetti, who also attended college in Connecticut, said via Twitter that he has had lots of offers to help in the endeavor: “Thanks to everyone who has offered to help at Soccer Night in Newtown. I’ve had dozens of tweets. Will keep you in mind if a need comes up.”
- Brek Shea’s USMNT return includes a personal, artistic touch 3
- Wayne Rooney may play in midfield: How will Chelsea, Manchester United line up? 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 33 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Red-hot teams will keep rolling 3
- MLS Week 7 preview: RSL vs. Whitecaps, Galaxy vs. Sporting KC in the wild West 0
- Injury crisis for Manchester United as four key players to miss clash vs. Chelsea 1