Dec 21, 2012, 1:10 PM EST
The New York Red Bulls’ makeover apparently will not dip into the past for a second bite off the Luke Rodgers apple.
Rodgers was the surprisingly effective, hard-charger whose combative, high energy style quickly established him as a fan favorite.
He was also a favorite of former manager Hans Backe – and why not? The club missed a certain bite and lacked some urgency without their bulldog Englishman around. His bruiser ways and savvy ability to play the target position presented a great complement for the silky skills of Thierry Henry.
That was all in 2011. We all expected Rodgers to be back with the Red Bulls in 2012, but work visa issues prevented his return. It became an awkward situation for the Red Bulls, who finally had to cut ties.
There always seemed to be a chance Rodgers would return for 2013, presuming he could sort out those visa troubles. But New York-based Big Apple Soccer reports this morning that the possibility is off the table. Citing a league source, Kristian Dyer reports that paperwork has not been funneled through MLS that would allow the 30-year-old striker to re-join Major League Soccer.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"