Dec 22, 2012, 12:24 PM EST
It shouldn’t be any other way, but it’s still nice to have confirmation that some things are capable of transcending this farce we build around sport.
One day after Barcelona head coach Tito Vilanova started treatment for a throat cancer relapse, Real Madrid head coach José Mourinho spoke to about the new trials that have befallen his rival.
Vilanova underwent surgery on Thursday to remove a tumor from his throat. After a brief stay in a Barcelona hospital, the 44-year-old coach will start six weeks of radiotherapy and chemotheraphy.
Though Mourinho said the manner in which he reaches out to Vilanova is a “private” matter, the Real Madrid boss tried to empathize with Vilanova’s misfortune.
“I do not like talking about what I do in my private life,” said Mourinho.
“Whether I call him (Vilanova) or not, or send a text or not, or talk to Vilanova or not, is a personal thing. I have no comment about it.
“The fact is that a colleague has a problem and I am the same as everyone.
“I think that with issues like this everybody desires the same thing. Because of this, for Tito and his family, we are all in this together, even the people who do not have anything to do with football and have health issues. And I hope it all works out well for everyone.”
Barcelona and Real Madrid are next slated to play each other on March 2 at Camp Nou.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 7
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 6
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 4
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)