Dec 22, 2012, 8:51 AM EDT
While there are plenty of skeptics that a third crack at a women’s soccer league will take root, few doubt that Portland’s entry in the National Women’s Soccer League (Thorns FC) will be able to capitalize on the momentum built by their Major League Soccer counterpart (Timbers FC).
Such are the virtues of being linked to a successful MLS franchise. Because Thorns FC is owned by Merritt Paulson, the new women’s team has been able to bring the Timbers’ resources to bear on their startup. In these early days before teams even have players, most of those effects are seen on marketing.
So we already have over 2k season tix deposits for @ThornsFC...someone help me here, what's most STH of any women's pro US soccer team ever?—
Merritt Paulson (@MerrittPaulson) December 21, 2012
First, that’s a pretty impressive number. One could note the NWSL would be fine for a long tim if every team emulated that total, but there’s a reason why Portland’s Portland. Even if some of those deposits (which are refundable) aren’t converted into season ticket plans, Thorns FC is going to be an outlier.
But over at Equalizer Soccer, Jeff Kassouf took up Paulson’s challenge, doing some leg work toward answering Paulson’s question. He discovered Thorns are likely to begin the NWSL season with the most season ticket holders in women’s professional soccer history. The only team that’s close is the San Diego Spirit of the old Women’s United Soccer League, but given the three-plus months between now and NWSL’s start, Portland’s likely to lap their mark.
Also, note the tit-for-tat, Seattle versus Portland dynamic forming. On Wednesday, Seattle Reign FC unveiled their logo. Portland announced Cindy Parlow Cone as head coach. On Friday, Laura Harvey’s named to Reign FC’s coaching position. Paulson then reveals some season ticket numbers.
Reign FC may not be the Sounders, but the rivalry’s already brewing. It was inevitable, and in NWSL’s nascent moments, a little one upmanship can’t hurt. Especially when all the news is positive.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public