Dec 22, 2012, 8:51 AM EST
While there are plenty of skeptics that a third crack at a women’s soccer league will take root, few doubt that Portland’s entry in the National Women’s Soccer League (Thorns FC) will be able to capitalize on the momentum built by their Major League Soccer counterpart (Timbers FC).
Such are the virtues of being linked to a successful MLS franchise. Because Thorns FC is owned by Merritt Paulson, the new women’s team has been able to bring the Timbers’ resources to bear on their startup. In these early days before teams even have players, most of those effects are seen on marketing.
So we already have over 2k season tix deposits for @ThornsFC...someone help me here, what's most STH of any women's pro US soccer team ever?—
Merritt Paulson (@MerrittPaulson) December 21, 2012
First, that’s a pretty impressive number. One could note the NWSL would be fine for a long tim if every team emulated that total, but there’s a reason why Portland’s Portland. Even if some of those deposits (which are refundable) aren’t converted into season ticket plans, Thorns FC is going to be an outlier.
But over at Equalizer Soccer, Jeff Kassouf took up Paulson’s challenge, doing some leg work toward answering Paulson’s question. He discovered Thorns are likely to begin the NWSL season with the most season ticket holders in women’s professional soccer history. The only team that’s close is the San Diego Spirit of the old Women’s United Soccer League, but given the three-plus months between now and NWSL’s start, Portland’s likely to lap their mark.
Also, note the tit-for-tat, Seattle versus Portland dynamic forming. On Wednesday, Seattle Reign FC unveiled their logo. Portland announced Cindy Parlow Cone as head coach. On Friday, Laura Harvey’s named to Reign FC’s coaching position. Paulson then reveals some season ticket numbers.
Reign FC may not be the Sounders, but the rivalry’s already brewing. It was inevitable, and in NWSL’s nascent moments, a little one upmanship can’t hurt. Especially when all the news is positive.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 1
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park