Dec 23, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
There’s always pressure to win in the Premiership. And there is always pressure to win at Arsenal, a club with a history of doing so.
But this is something different.
The club is under threat of losing some of its funding unless Arsene Wenger and Co. can stack up a few more “Ws” going forward.
Emirates Air is the club’s dominant sponsor; the club plays at Emirates Stadium and the brand is splashed across Arsenal gear. Now, Emirates senior vice-president Boutros Boutros has revealed that airline will add contract clauses that compel certain competitive benchmarks.
The total sponsorship has been valued at close to $50 million dollars a year, a lot of money for a club that does well enough, but is going on eight years without a meaningful trophy. Said Boutros Boutros:
There are certain clauses, from 2015, that we pay them a percentage less if they don’t perform. The Champions League is part of the new contract. It’s just to keep them on their toes. It’s fair to us and fair to them.”
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 0
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 5
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 7
- Another EPL manager goes, as Tony Pulis leaves Stoke City 4
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (15)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save