Dec 23, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
You got the feeling even Chelsea felt a little bad for the visitors by the end of this one, among the worst shellackings in Premier League history as the suddenly resplendent Blues roared in an 8-0 win over in-shock Aston Villa.
Chelsea really was in dazzling form, abetted surely by a young Aston Villa team that simply could not find its balance after conceding right away; Fernando Torres’ sensational header came just two minutes after kickoff.
By the time American goalkeeper Brad Guzan picked the ball from his net for the final time, Chelsea had zoomed from seventh to third place in the table – and still with a game in hand over the field due to that recent trip in Japan for the FIFA Club World Cup.
This was just the fifth time a Premier League team has won by eight or more goals, and it could have been even worse but for some of Guzan’s good work in goal. Yes, Guzan managed to the nearly impossible, having a “respectable” day in terms of skillful saves while allowing a hideous eight-spot.
How The Guardian described it: “The goals plundered at will as Villa wilted. Such riotous victory will serve to spur on this side. Manchester United are still 11 points clear but Chelsea, risen from seventh back to third, boast a game in hand and an injection of form. They were irrepressible, an eight-goal margin hardly flattering.”
Other talking points here:
- Was Guzan at fault on any of the eight? Not really, although the final shot blew by him suspiciously close. Another one came on a rebound the American ‘keeper left in a bad place, but it was off a point-blank shot that he did well to save in the first place.
- He saved one of two Chelsea penalty kicks, so there’s that.
- Guzan wasn’t the only American on the bad side of this lopsided crusher; U.S. defender Eric Lichaj was also in the Villa starting XI.
- Seven different men scored for Chelsea. The last team to have as many scorers in a top-flight game in England: Liverpool, with eight men to find goal in a 9-0 win over Crystal Palace back in 1989.
- Aston Villa has played in 3,936 top-flight games, yet this is the first time to have conceded eight goals. (Thanks to Opta Sports for those two little statistical gems.)
- It’s not like Villa was reeling before this one. Paul Lambert’s young side was unbeaten in six straight coming into West London on Sunday.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
United make it three wins from three on their U.S. tour. Watch the highlights from Van Gaal’s men in action.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Will United splash the cash to sign Vidal in central midfield?
Jul 30, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Lukaku set to sign for Everton from Chelsea.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
United to splash the cash? Lukaku on his way out of Chelsea? All the latest gossip, right here.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT
Toure: “My decision is that I will stay at Manchester City for as long as possible.”
Jul 30, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT
After losing the PL title late in the season, then England being knocked out of the World Cup, can Gerrard bounce back?
Jul 29, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
“I can only say that I’m very happy at City and at the moment we are talking about a contract,” Dzeko said.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
The 3,600 meters of elevation will provide a stiff challenge, with many opposing clubs having fallen victim to the altitude.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Manchester United continued their success in the US with a third consecutive victory.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Sturridge and Ibe step to the mic and hold their own.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
In team news, van Gaal has decided to go with his fabled 3-5-2.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
In a startling revelation, AS has revealed that Radamel Falcao has begun following three Real Madrid players on Instagram.
Jul 29, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Big day for headlines coming out of Southampton but this one looks to be quite promising for Saints fans.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Twenty-seven years after his first stint with Gremio, Luis Felipe Scolari is returning to the Brazilian side as its new manager.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Krkic, who made the $6.7 million move from Barcelona last week, scored a cracker of a first goal for Stoke City.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Tevez’s family was then phoned and told to deliver a ransom of $5,000 (40,000 pesos).
Jul 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
“Every penny of that will be up for reinvestment as transfer fees and wages,” Krueger said.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Where, exactly, Ronaldinho’s future ends up is anyone’s guess.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
ICC and MLS action is in full swing in the USA this week. Watch it all online, here.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
Jacobson arrives in the Big Apple from Dallas. Will Aquilani join him?
- Everton set to complete $50 million deal for Chelsea’s Romelu Lukaku 1
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 1
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11