Dec 23, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
You got the feeling even Chelsea felt a little bad for the visitors by the end of this one, among the worst shellackings in Premier League history as the suddenly resplendent Blues roared in an 8-0 win over in-shock Aston Villa.
Chelsea really was in dazzling form, abetted surely by a young Aston Villa team that simply could not find its balance after conceding right away; Fernando Torres’ sensational header came just two minutes after kickoff.
By the time American goalkeeper Brad Guzan picked the ball from his net for the final time, Chelsea had zoomed from seventh to third place in the table – and still with a game in hand over the field due to that recent trip in Japan for the FIFA Club World Cup.
This was just the fifth time a Premier League team has won by eight or more goals, and it could have been even worse but for some of Guzan’s good work in goal. Yes, Guzan managed to the nearly impossible, having a “respectable” day in terms of skillful saves while allowing a hideous eight-spot.
How The Guardian described it: “The goals plundered at will as Villa wilted. Such riotous victory will serve to spur on this side. Manchester United are still 11 points clear but Chelsea, risen from seventh back to third, boast a game in hand and an injection of form. They were irrepressible, an eight-goal margin hardly flattering.”
Other talking points here:
- Was Guzan at fault on any of the eight? Not really, although the final shot blew by him suspiciously close. Another one came on a rebound the American ‘keeper left in a bad place, but it was off a point-blank shot that he did well to save in the first place.
- He saved one of two Chelsea penalty kicks, so there’s that.
- Guzan wasn’t the only American on the bad side of this lopsided crusher; U.S. defender Eric Lichaj was also in the Villa starting XI.
- Seven different men scored for Chelsea. The last team to have as many scorers in a top-flight game in England: Liverpool, with eight men to find goal in a 9-0 win over Crystal Palace back in 1989.
- Aston Villa has played in 3,936 top-flight games, yet this is the first time to have conceded eight goals. (Thanks to Opta Sports for those two little statistical gems.)
- It’s not like Villa was reeling before this one. Paul Lambert’s young side was unbeaten in six straight coming into West London on Sunday.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT
Not one, but two middle fingers to your own fans earns you a red card, sir.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:43 PM EDT
AC Milan + Hello Kitty = the strangest soccer story of the week, right?
Apr 1, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
This is a strange one: footballer admits to thinking about tweet to critic while still game in which he scored.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:22 PM EDT
A serious knee injury at the business end of the season? Terrible news, though Alaba hopes to return for a pair of cup finals.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
The first of CONCACAF’s five WCQ rounds is complete, and there’s a world-famous name leading one Caribbean minnow into the next round.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
The USMNT kicks off its 2015 Gold Cup campaign in 97 days. What’s the roster going to look like? Who’s the surprising “ins” and “outs”?
Apr 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
April Fools’ Day jokes — everybody’s got them, and while most aren’t funny, a few people came through with good ones today.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
One little magician has been sublime all season. He’s our consensus pick, but who do you choose?
Apr 1, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
Ribery is a big fan of Hazard. Should the Chelsea wing-wizard replace the Frenchman at Bayern?
Apr 1, 2015, 1:58 PM EDT
PST’s writers select their coach of the year candidate with the end of season awards coming up fast.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
Listen to the latest MiB podcast, here.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:58 PM EDT
We select our Young Player of the season. Do you agree with the consensus selection?
Apr 1, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
Sterling has spoken out about his current contract situation. It’s fascinating stuff.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
PST’s writers pick their team of the season, so far… Agree? Disagree?
Apr 1, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
Which players did themselves the world of good in March for the U.S.? Here’s a gander.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Chairman of Bayern Munich, ECA, believes Blatter is ready to change his ways.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
Spurs winger scores stunner to silence doubters. Now, can he keep it up?
Apr 1, 2015, 8:01 AM EDT
Here are the latest rumors involving Premier League clubs.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:26 PM EDT
As bizarre as this is to read, Michael Bradley didn’t register a single helper for the States until 2011. In the Klinsmann era, he has 12.
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 1
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 4
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 3