Dec 24, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
The “off-season” in professional soccer in our country is a different animal anyway; so much attention here is focused on Europe, Mexico and South America that there’s plenty going on, never mind the brief domestic break.
But even here, the first six weeks of 2013 has plenty going on. Here are the highlights (and feel free to “clip and save”):
- Major League Soccer’s annual combine in Florida takes place Jan. 11-15.
- Jurgen Klinsmann’s national team gets into its early training camp on Jan. 14. The camp, mostly for MLS men and players on break in the Scandinavian leagues, goes through Jan. 31.
- Major League Soccer’s draft, held annually in conjunction with the NSCAA convention in Indianapolis, takes place on Jan. 17.
- The MLS supplemental draft is Jan. 22. Somewhere around that time, most MLS teams will begin their training camps (about two weeks earlier than usual due to the league’s earliest first kick date).
- Canada meets Denmark in a friendly in Tucson on Jan. 26. Mexico meets Denmark in nearby Glendale on Jan. 30.
- A growing slate of MLS pre-season tournament begins Jan. 29 with the Desert Friendlies in Tucson, featuring six MLS teams. (For a state with no MLS presence, Arizona sure has a lot to say about pro soccer in winter. Well done, Ariz.!)
- Also on Jan. 29, Klinsmann’s national team camp concludes with a friendly in Houston against Canada. A few days later, the team gathers in Miami to train for a day or so before …
- … A Feb. 6 date in Honduras to open final round World Cup qualifying.
- The U.S. women’s team begins its 2013 schedule with a friendly against Scotland in Jacksonville on Feb. 9.
Jul 27, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
Liverpool looks focused on improving its shape heading into the upcoming Premier League season.
Jul 27, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
Raul Fernandez held Vancouver to a draw while Portland won a 3-2 barnburner with Montreal.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
This may not be as toast as it first appeared.
Jul 27, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
With Thibaut Courtois hot on his trail, Petr Cech isn’t about to let the youngster’s hype get in the way of his 11-year Chelsea career.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
AC Milan got hosed, but Mario Balotelli had some fun as a second-half substitute.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
It may have been in jest, but Roberto Martinez has set rumors alight.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Lovern becomes the third Southampton player to move to Liverpool this summer.
Jul 27, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
AC Milan got thumped for the second straight US preseason friendly. What does it mean?
Jul 27, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Having played under Redknapp for 2 years at Spurs, the QPR boss wants him back.
Jul 27, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
With a good World Cup, Spurs has affirmed the importance of Jan Vertonghen’s presence to their back line.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
Pjanic is good at kicking – all kinds of it.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
What Italy needs is an FIGC president that works to prevent racism, not one that uses racist terms when referring to players from elsewhere.
Jul 27, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
At 41 years of age, the forward has made a return with Puebla, although he was unable to help his new side break a goalless draw.
Jul 27, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
The referee handed out eight yellows and sent a Kansas City player off, although they still came back to take all three points.
Jul 27, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
The manager can stop worrying — he doesn’t need to keep bringing in multiple trophies to keep his job with the Bavarian giants.
Jul 27, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
The New York Red Bulls star and former France international is adopting a wait-and-see approach to the end of his playing career.
Jul 27, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
It’s back to QPR for the forward, while Brendan Rodgers will need to seek other options to help compensate for the loss of Luis Suárez.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:54 AM EDT
It’s official! The Colombia goalkeeper joins the Gunners on a long-term contract, and is expected to make his first appearance next month.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:59 AM EDT
Internazionale need more firepower up top. United need more depth in midfield. This switch seems like an ideal solution.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:06 AM EDT
The Real Madrid manager seems to enjoy destroying the hopes of players, clubs and fans by putting to rest rumors of summer transfers.
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 0
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5
- Ángel Di María approaching Paris Saint-Germain move 0
- Personal terms all that separates Griezmann from $40 million move to Atlético Madrid 0
- Manuel Pellegrini talks title ambitions, Manchester City vs. AC Milan, US tour 1