Dec 24, 2012, 9:30 AM EST
The “off-season” in professional soccer in our country is a different animal anyway; so much attention here is focused on Europe, Mexico and South America that there’s plenty going on, never mind the brief domestic break.
But even here, the first six weeks of 2013 has plenty going on. Here are the highlights (and feel free to “clip and save”):
- Major League Soccer’s annual combine in Florida takes place Jan. 11-15.
- Jurgen Klinsmann’s national team gets into its early training camp on Jan. 14. The camp, mostly for MLS men and players on break in the Scandinavian leagues, goes through Jan. 31.
- Major League Soccer’s draft, held annually in conjunction with the NSCAA convention in Indianapolis, takes place on Jan. 17.
- The MLS supplemental draft is Jan. 22. Somewhere around that time, most MLS teams will begin their training camps (about two weeks earlier than usual due to the league’s earliest first kick date).
- Canada meets Denmark in a friendly in Tucson on Jan. 26. Mexico meets Denmark in nearby Glendale on Jan. 30.
- A growing slate of MLS pre-season tournament begins Jan. 29 with the Desert Friendlies in Tucson, featuring six MLS teams. (For a state with no MLS presence, Arizona sure has a lot to say about pro soccer in winter. Well done, Ariz.!)
- Also on Jan. 29, Klinsmann’s national team camp concludes with a friendly in Houston against Canada. A few days later, the team gathers in Miami to train for a day or so before …
- … A Feb. 6 date in Honduras to open final round World Cup qualifying.
- The U.S. women’s team begins its 2013 schedule with a friendly against Scotland in Jacksonville on Feb. 9.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:10 AM EST
Sporting also added Hungarian striker Kristian Nemeth and Haitian mid James Marcellin.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:02 AM EST
Here’s how PST’s lead writer and editor sees things panning out this weekend.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:06 AM EST
Mangala on visitors to the Etihad: “Normally, teams that are coming here play more defensively.”
Dec 19, 2014, 8:05 AM EST
And to think, all it took was months and months of continuous anger and frustration from nearly everyone who wasn’t a part of FIFA itself.
Dec 19, 2014, 7:45 AM EST
FIFA rankings… what a riot!
Dec 18, 2014, 11:50 PM EST
Luke Shaw is ready to make his return after nearly a month out of action.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
Mix Diskerud is on the move, and he may be headed south of the border.
Dec 18, 2014, 9:14 PM EST
Chicharito isn’t getting games for Real Madrid, but his agent insists he won’t end his loan deal early.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:46 PM EST
It may be 14 years after the fact, but Paul Scholes is owning up to his fault in one of the greatest goals of all-time.
Dec 18, 2014, 6:20 PM EST
Inspired by Monday’s loss, the USWNT were out for vengeance — and goals — against Argentina.
Dec 18, 2014, 4:36 PM EST
Find out who went where in Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft on Thursday.
Dec 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
As we head into the busy festive season, here’s how the rankings of power look before Week 17.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:46 PM EST
Winger set to return to full training, may return to action this Sunday at Anfield.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:11 PM EST
Germany end 2014 on top, as the USMNT sit steady inside the top 30.
Dec 18, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
Balotelli will now miss Liverpool’s match against Arsenal this weekend.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
Rogers worries about anti-gay laws in Russia, Qatar during World Cup tournaments.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:46 AM EST
Scunthorpe win 14-13 on penalty kicks… really?
Dec 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Klinsmann’s son make six saves, but gets second-yellow as youth side beat Germany.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
USMNT attacker heading back to MLS.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:50 AM EST
Vegas, baby! New soccer stadium gets seal of approval from city council… all they need now is an MLS expansion franchise.
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Everton, Manchester United, Liverpool 0
- Report: Garcia’s World Cup ethics report to be released after all 2
- Paul Scholes: Thierry Henry’s legendary goal vs. Man United was my fault 2
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 3
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 6
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1