Dec 24, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer:
We’re enjoying time with our families, but we’ll have a few holiday surprises over on the blog over the next couple of days, including some of our favorite stories of 2012 and stories of our favorite all-time soccer-related Christmas presents.
We’ll have those later today.
Eddie Pope, one of the best defenders ever to come out of these United States, turns 39 on this Christmas Eve. The U.S. Soccer Hall of Famer is now director of player relations for the MLS Players Union.
Big Important Stories of the Day:
It’s a slooooow day. Not much going on, domestic league-wise, overseas-wise … as it should be.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day: Bora Milutinovic
What you should watch on TV today:
No lives games on TV today. Looks like that Christmas Story marathon for us all. That thing never get old.
Background noise while blogging/snoozing/traveling today:
Christmas carols, of course. I like more of the latter day stuff, myself, but to each his own.
We’ll leave you with this:
Seriously, did the referee really need to add more time onto yesterday’s romp-and-stomp at Stamford Bridge, with Chelsea already leading 7-0? Would anyone have complained if the man in the middle staunched the bleeding at 7? Sure enough, Chelsea hit No. 8 in stoppage time. Geeesch.
Oh, and Happy Holidays to all!
May 21, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
By swapping Dzeko for Cavani, City can hamstring Manchester United and Chelsea, as both are rumored to be seeking a world-class striker.
It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team.
May 21, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT
The league’s 20th franchise will begin play in 2015:
May 21, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT
During his Premiership tenure Toure has proven himself a leader, captaining both the Gunners and the Citizens, as well as Cote d’Ivoire.
May 21, 2013, 8:37 AM EDT
Has Daniel Levy already forgotten about what happened when he tried to pin Luka Modric down with this ‘no sale’ line of bull?
May 20, 2013, 11:58 PM EDT
Expect this one to get worked out.
May 20, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
If Real Madrid’s going to shake things up, Higuaín could do worse than land at The Emirates.
May 20, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Four players were on the original list. None of them may end up at Stamford Bridge.
May 20, 2013, 8:13 PM EDT
Our sympathy continues to grow for a man in a bad spot.
May 20, 2013, 7:21 PM EDT
MLS will not have arrived until it has a high-profile feces incident.
May 20, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
It probably won’t happen this summer, and if it does … I’m sure we’ll run that into the ground, too.
May 20, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
For a moment, it looked like Milan had fired their coaching staff … via an open letter from a television show.
May 20, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
Real Madrid would have been in line for an eight-digit payday had they sold Mourinho to Chelsea.
May 20, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Odds on current U.S. Men’s National Team boss Jurgen Klinsmann to become Everton’s next permanent manager have dropped heavily today.
May 20, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Wherein we justify the selection of a center back, which always seems to be a requirement in these things:
May 20, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Sky Blue FC validates, Ali Krieger resonates, and four teams start to feel the toll of the new season.
May 20, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
What’s been coming for a long time is now official. Jose Mourinho’s three-year tenure at Real Madrid has a finish line.
May 20, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Ben Olsen? Frank Klopas? … Someone else?
May 20, 2013, 1:47 PM EDT
The big, soon-to-be out of contract Galaxy center backs says talks with MLS commenced:
May 20, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
That’s sarcasm. Ruiz was always bound to cause headaches, one way or the other:
May 20, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
The first-year Red Bulls center back made a huge imprint on New York’s win over Los Angeles:
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 11
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 1
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (16)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Donovan: “I’ll get my way back in” with USMNT (9)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team