Dec 26, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
Gone but not forgotten, David Beckham popped up this week in one of the multitude of end-of-year lists making their way into your lives. Not surprising, this one had little to do with his on-the-field prowess, though he’d surely top a list of stars Major League Soccer will miss in 2013.
Last Friday, the Galaxy’s departed icon was named one of GQ magazine’s 25 most stylish men of 2012, an almost expected honor considering the care Beckham has put into crafting his fashion credentials. Still, and probably much to Simon Fuller’s chagrin, Beckham failed to nab the top spot, even if he was the highest-ranked athlete on the list.
The soccer player has been a style icon for years and based on the last twelve months, that title isn’t going away. Unlike years ago though, when the global star was burning through trends and hairstyles, 2012 saw Beckham master a more refined, gentlemanly look that every guy could learn from.
Only three other sports figures made the countdown, each one hailing from the cultural haven that is the NBA:
- Tyson Chandler, center, New York Knicks
- Dwayne Wade, shooting guard, Miami Heat
- Russell Westbrook, point guard, Oklahoma City Thunder
Credit to Westbrook. Do you know how difficult it is to be noticed for your fashion accumen when you spend most of the year in a fly over state? Russ’s style will not be constrained by cultural bias.
Here’s GQ’s full list, though fair warning: There’s a slideshow involved.
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 6
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''