Dec 26, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
Gone but not forgotten, David Beckham popped up this week in one of the multitude of end-of-year lists making their way into your lives. Not surprising, this one had little to do with his on-the-field prowess, though he’d surely top a list of stars Major League Soccer will miss in 2013.
Last Friday, the Galaxy’s departed icon was named one of GQ magazine’s 25 most stylish men of 2012, an almost expected honor considering the care Beckham has put into crafting his fashion credentials. Still, and probably much to Simon Fuller’s chagrin, Beckham failed to nab the top spot, even if he was the highest-ranked athlete on the list.
The soccer player has been a style icon for years and based on the last twelve months, that title isn’t going away. Unlike years ago though, when the global star was burning through trends and hairstyles, 2012 saw Beckham master a more refined, gentlemanly look that every guy could learn from.
Only three other sports figures made the countdown, each one hailing from the cultural haven that is the NBA:
- Tyson Chandler, center, New York Knicks
- Dwayne Wade, shooting guard, Miami Heat
- Russell Westbrook, point guard, Oklahoma City Thunder
Credit to Westbrook. Do you know how difficult it is to be noticed for your fashion accumen when you spend most of the year in a fly over state? Russ’s style will not be constrained by cultural bias.
Here’s GQ’s full list, though fair warning: There’s a slideshow involved.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0