Dec 27, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer:
Former Scotland international Duncan Ferguson, who once was the biggest buy for both Rangers FC and Everton, tuns 41 on Thursday. The one-time captain at Goodison Park scored 69 goals in 269 top flight appearances for the Toffees before retiring in 2006.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day:
Big important story of the day:
After a day spent focused on the English game, it’s time to bring the attention back home. At least, that’s what’s likely to happen, with a slow day in the soccer world allowing the news and rumors from Major League Soccer (and, potentially, the National Women’s Soccer League) to bubble up.
As it concerns Major League Soccer, keep an ear open for news on next month’s SuperDraft. We’re about three weeks away from the event, and the Generation adidas class (which will go a long way toward deciding the depth of the draft) is still taking shape. With each player MLS signs to this year’s GA group, the landscape of the draft subtly changes.
Ahead on the blog today:
We did this a little yesterday, but on Thursday, we’re really going to get caught up on the little pieces of news handing around after the holiday break.
We’re also going to jump back into the qualifiers in the northwest debate, with a late Wednesday update adding a new wrinkle to the possibility of games in Portland and Seattle.
Also, expect Mr. Noah Davis later in the day. We figure you’re tired to hearing me babbling on.
After over 24 hrs of travel and sprinting thru ohare and lax to make my flight I finally arrived at my hotel here in Japan. #bagsdidnot:(—
Abby Wambach (@AbbyWambach) December 26, 2012
@luc_sae91 A reporter from La Opinion, said that I was quick like a cat. I think its because I'm always plotting to take over the world.—
KevinElGatoHartman (@KevinEHartman) December 23, 2012
Beach cruisin on the windiest day of the year... Mayyyybe not the best idea, but at least we made it home alive!—
Alex Morgan (@alexmorgan13) December 27, 2012
Background noise while blogging:
Been on bit of a Led Zeppelin kick of late. Right now, III is on the virtual turntable, one of the first times I’ve listened to a full album in a while.
Anybody still fighting for the sanctity of The Album is trapped in the past. Perhaps it’s a good idea, but so was the betamax.
We’ll leave you with this:
Is there some kind of Chivas USA goalkeeper curse? Dan Kennedy was pushed into submission after a season being bombarded in Carson while he predecessor as Goats’ No. 1, Brad Guzan, is on the verge of some post traumatic stress at Aston Villa.
Consider this: Villa’s defense wasn’t this porous before the American took charge. Now, Guzan’s been accosted with 12 goals since the weekend.
We’ve heard rumors about Chivas USA possibly moving Kennedy, but if there really is a curse, Kennedy’s just going to take his besieged ways to his new home. It break out the Ouija board and start asking questions before trading for the Chivas No. 1.
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 1
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs