Dec 28, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
It never made much sense to me, this Thierry Henry-loan-to-Arsenal thing.
I know it made some sense last year, as Gunners needed some extra cover during a furiously busy spell, and Henry longed for his lost love and to reignite his mutual man-crush on Arsenal boss and fellow Frenchman Arsene Wenger.
And it did happen that Henry scored a memorable goal and assisted in the cause around the Emirates, so all lived happily ever after.
But Henry is a year older. Gunners’ need of the moment doesn’t seem as fierce.
And as I keep saying, “What do the Red Bulls get from all this?” The Major League Soccer club does, after all, hold the man’s contract. As such, they have significant stakes in the game here.
Apparently, Wenger feels the same way now. Or, he says to, at least.
This story reports that Wenger has ruled out the possibility of a second loan to the Emirates Stadium.
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 0
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- Criticism, negativity may leave Seattle with few rewards for their hosting efforts (20)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public