Dec 28, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT
It might be a tad early to proclaim 2013 as “The Year of Sacha Kljestan.” But the man sure is finishing 2012 with a mighty Belgian bang!
Anderlecht won again yesterday and now finds itself a full eight points in the lead of the 16-team Jupiler League. Kljestan went all 90 minutes in a 4-1 win over visiting Lierse. That’s 10 wins in a row for Anderlecht, which is also unbeaten in 15 consecutive league matches at home.
It may have seemed like U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann had little use for the California native previously; it has always been a little hard to define Kljestan’s best role, going all the way back to his Chivas USA days under Preki, and that has probably hurt the versatile midfielder along the way.
But he kept a good attitude about it all, and a glance at recent months doesn’t look so bad when considering Kljestan’s place in the international game. Kljestan appeared in each of the Americans’ last three matches, including two critical World Cup qualifiers and the fashionable 2-2 draw with Russia for finish out 2012, Klinsmann’s first full year in charge.
He may already be moving in front of Maurice Edu in the order of U.S. central midfielder (considering Edu’s alarming lack of status at Stoke City, where he has become a forgotten man.) And Kljestan may have lapped Jose Torres in the field, even if the two are fairly different players.
Landon Donovan’s status has something to say about where Kljestan lands in the order, as well. (On the other hand, he’ll need to peak over his shoulder occasionally to monitor the progress of Mix Diskerud, who appears to be coming up fast.)
Either way, being a starter for the runaway leaders of a mid-tier European league (Belgium) isn’t a bad place to launch for 2013.
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 1
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1