Dec 28, 2012, 9:16 PM EDT
When U.S. Soccer and the other regional associations pulled back curtains on plans for the new women’s league, most of us made certain assumptions.
Foremost among those base assumptions was that the best U.S. stars would participate in the league. What’s a domestically based women’s league without the best U.S. stars, after all?
Maybe there would be the occasional outlier. Ali Krieger, of course, spent the last five and a half years in Germany as a member of FFC Frankfurt in the Frauen Bundesliga. But generally, we figured the Morgans, Wambachs, Solos, Rapinoes, etc., would fan out across the eight-team league.
But that doesn’t appear to be the case. Not right away, at least. This report from Megan Rapinoe’s hometown paper in Redding, Calif., says she will soon join Lyon in France.
Her father, Jim Rapinoe, told the newspaper: “The French team has shown great interest in her and offered her a nice contract. She always wanted to play abroad.”
Her father indicated that she would sign a six-month deal and then join the upstart National Women’s Soccer League. That would see Rapinoe missing two or three months, at least.
Original plans call for a March or April first kick; a 22-game season would run until September or October.
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England
- Thistle Manager Sent Off While Playing For His Team's Under-20s
- Is CONCACAF Champions League Format Working Against MLS?