Dec 28, 2012, 1:46 PM EDT
Wish I could remember the clever on Twitter who put it this way earlier today: “The Victor Palsson error is over.”
Well played, sir. (My Twitter feed is too large to go back and ferret out the witty dap of Twitter in question. Apologies.)
Palsson landed amid a reasonable amount of hubbub, a “find” of the Hans Backe regime. They wanted him to be a little younger version of what they had in the likes of Teemu Tainio, Jan Gunnar Solli and Markus Holgersson. They were all mid-level European veterans, guys with a certain degree of previously earned chops who would not kill anyone on salary.
Palsson came in with a European pedigree. But at 21 he had hardly rounded into the finished product. Turns out, he was talented but just couldn’t control himself; a real yellow card waiting to happen, this one.
He was a pretty disappointing figure, and today the Red Bulls have officially terminated this failed finding.
And with that, the ongoing makeover under the new regime goes one. Reviewing quickly:
- Head coach Hans Backe, gone
- Troublemaking DP Rafa Marquez, gone
- Midfielder Teemu Tainio, gone
- Defender/midfielder Jan Gunna Solli, gone
- Fan favorite forward (well, fan fav in some places) Sebastien Le Toux, traded
- Forward Fabian Espindola, acquired
- Center back Jamison Olave, acquired
- Former Lyon playmaker Juninho Pernambucano, acquired
- Three things we learned from Real Madrid’s win vs. Bayern Munich 2
- Benzema goal holds up as Real Madrid claim 1-0 lead over Bayern Munich 0
- Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 7 3
- Moyes statement on dismissal; Reports say he was recruiting to the end 4
- Head coach Marc Wilmots says Adnan Januzaj will play for Belgium 2
- Who’s in across Europe? Glancing at the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League 1