Dec 28, 2012, 1:46 PM EST
Wish I could remember the clever on Twitter who put it this way earlier today: “The Victor Palsson error is over.”
Well played, sir. (My Twitter feed is too large to go back and ferret out the witty dap of Twitter in question. Apologies.)
Palsson landed amid a reasonable amount of hubbub, a “find” of the Hans Backe regime. They wanted him to be a little younger version of what they had in the likes of Teemu Tainio, Jan Gunnar Solli and Markus Holgersson. They were all mid-level European veterans, guys with a certain degree of previously earned chops who would not kill anyone on salary.
Palsson came in with a European pedigree. But at 21 he had hardly rounded into the finished product. Turns out, he was talented but just couldn’t control himself; a real yellow card waiting to happen, this one.
He was a pretty disappointing figure, and today the Red Bulls have officially terminated this failed finding.
And with that, the ongoing makeover under the new regime goes one. Reviewing quickly:
- Head coach Hans Backe, gone
- Troublemaking DP Rafa Marquez, gone
- Midfielder Teemu Tainio, gone
- Defender/midfielder Jan Gunna Solli, gone
- Fan favorite forward (well, fan fav in some places) Sebastien Le Toux, traded
- Forward Fabian Espindola, acquired
- Center back Jamison Olave, acquired
- Former Lyon playmaker Juninho Pernambucano, acquired
- The Western Conference will continue to dominate MLS, and we all know it 0
- Wednesday’s Premier League Preview: Seven games in action-packed matchday 0
- WATCH: Incredible 60-yard pass leads Montreal ouster of Pachuca in CONCACAF Champions League 3
- Tuesday’s Premier League roundup: Saints, Villa win; Hull, Sunderland draw (video) 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: Toronto FC 0
- Aston Villa 2-1 West Bromwich Albion: Late drama hands Sherwood first win (video) 0