Dec 29, 2012, 3:04 PM EDT
Saturday’s dandy day in English Premier League soccer began with Tottenham’s 2-1 win over Sunderland … and who knew that would be one of the low-scoring contests of the day?
The primary number to consider here is 35 – as in total number of goals in England’s top flight today. It all ended with a stunning result in the late game, Arsenal’s 7-3 win over defensively challenged Newcastle.
It was really a 4-3 or 5-3 match at the Emirates in the way it played out; it was 3-3 with about 20 minutes remaining. But when Theo Walcott and Olivier Giroud hooked up for a brilliant strike in the 85th, Newcastle lost its will and allowed two more to drop before it was over.
Heck, it could have been worse as Giroud banged one off the post almost five minutes into injury time.
Rob Smyth of The Guardian, live blogging from the game, said it like this: “I would summarise this game, but I have plans to leave work before 2013. In short, Theo Walcott had the time of his life.”
Walcott (pictured, on left) had a hat trick – more on that and the significance of it later. Meanwhile, consider these numbers.
- This was Walcott’s second hat trick in league play.
- The 10-spot at the Emirates was just one off a Premier League record for goals in a one match.
- Third time this year for Arsenal to score five goals or more at home
- For Newcastle, what an awful and painful week. Alan Pardew’s club scored six goals in two matches this week against some of the best of the Premier League (Manchester United and Arsenal) and come away with zero points. That, in fact, is the first time an EPL side has scored at least three in consecutive league matches and not recorded at least a point.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
Sterling has spoken out about his current contract situation. It’s fascinating stuff.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
PST’s writers pick their team of the season, so far… Agree? Disagree?
Apr 1, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
Which players did themselves the world of good in March for the U.S.? Here’s a gander.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Chairman of Bayern Munich, ECA, believes Blatter is ready to change his ways.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
Spurs winger scores stunner to silence doubters. Now, can he keep it up?
Apr 1, 2015, 8:01 AM EDT
Here are the latest rumors involving Premier League clubs.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:26 PM EDT
As bizarre as this is to read, Michael Bradley didn’t register a single helper for the States until 2011. In the Klinsmann era, he has 12.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:07 PM EDT
It was out of character for Altidore, who hadn’t received a red card for club or country since he was with AZ Alkmaar in 2012.
Mar 31, 2015, 7:17 PM EDT
With the deal Porto have turned another big profit. See this incredible list below, as the Portuguese club giants have made close to $423 million.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
It was a busy couple days for friendlies outside of the draw between Switzerland and the USMNT, with some MLSers doing work in the mix.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:27 PM EDT
Tottenham Hotspur could have new, improved digs as soon as the 2018-19 season, according to the BBC.
Mar 31, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
Though Wayne Rooney had a series of good chances including a struck crossbar, it was the Tottenham man who beat Gianluigi Buffon to tie things up.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
What would the price tag be for the German star if he skipped Dortmund for Old Trafford?
Mar 31, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
Here are three points and a bonus reminder from the Yanks’ final match until April 15 in Texas against Mexico.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
Another late goal denies the USMNT victory.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Shea does his best Gareth Bale impression.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
Messi’s right foot is still giving him some bother.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
Klinsmann makes changes to team who lost to Denmark, switches up formation.
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 0
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 1
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter is “ready to change.” Do we believe this? 4
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 11
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 14