Dec 29, 2012, 3:04 PM EDT
Saturday’s dandy day in English Premier League soccer began with Tottenham’s 2-1 win over Sunderland … and who knew that would be one of the low-scoring contests of the day?
The primary number to consider here is 35 – as in total number of goals in England’s top flight today. It all ended with a stunning result in the late game, Arsenal’s 7-3 win over defensively challenged Newcastle.
It was really a 4-3 or 5-3 match at the Emirates in the way it played out; it was 3-3 with about 20 minutes remaining. But when Theo Walcott and Olivier Giroud hooked up for a brilliant strike in the 85th, Newcastle lost its will and allowed two more to drop before it was over.
Heck, it could have been worse as Giroud banged one off the post almost five minutes into injury time.
Rob Smyth of The Guardian, live blogging from the game, said it like this: “I would summarise this game, but I have plans to leave work before 2013. In short, Theo Walcott had the time of his life.”
Walcott (pictured, on left) had a hat trick – more on that and the significance of it later. Meanwhile, consider these numbers.
- This was Walcott’s second hat trick in league play.
- The 10-spot at the Emirates was just one off a Premier League record for goals in a one match.
- Third time this year for Arsenal to score five goals or more at home
- For Newcastle, what an awful and painful week. Alan Pardew’s club scored six goals in two matches this week against some of the best of the Premier League (Manchester United and Arsenal) and come away with zero points. That, in fact, is the first time an EPL side has scored at least three in consecutive league matches and not recorded at least a point.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
Thierry Henry’s second half equalizer takes earns a point at Rio Tinto.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
The Revs’ eight-game losing streak ends thanks to another strong night from Lee Nguyen.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
The Red fall nine points back of second place United in the Eastern Conference.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
24-year-old defender loaned out for the seventh time.
Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland as Mexican U-19 player attempts to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl
Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
Nick De Santis will stay with the Impact, albeit in an administrative role.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Everton’s leading scorer returns to Goodison on a permanent basis.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
With immediate effect, U.S.’s women’s league will pause mid-half if when it’s too hot.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Liverpool roll into town and people freak out! Watch this incredible reaction to Stevie G signing autographs.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Reports from Texas state Jurgen Klinsmann’s side are playing Colombia in September.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Union grab Algerian goalkeeper Mbolhi, throw MacMath’s future in doubt.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
One of the most influential men in world soccer passed away on Wednesday at the age of 82.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
After success at the 2014 World Cup, vanishing spray is coming to the PL.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Shaw: “I didn’t come into United thinking it’s going to be much harder and that’s something I made a mistake on.”
Jul 30, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Ronaldo flexing the abs as he is set to appear in the largest-ever Men’s Health front cover campaign.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
United make it three wins from three on their U.S. tour. Watch the highlights from Van Gaal’s men in action.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Will United splash the cash to sign Vidal in central midfield?
Jul 30, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Lukaku set to sign for Everton from Chelsea.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
United to splash the cash? Lukaku on his way out of Chelsea? All the latest gossip, right here.
- Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández 3
- Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton 8
- Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio 1
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 3
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1