Dec 29, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT
It’s hard to say exactly what is going on with Philadelphia center back and captain Carlos Valdes, who is apparently going somewhere in January on loan.
Early reports had Valdes going to his former club in Colombia, Independiente Santa Fe, on a three-month loan assignment. That would put him back into the MLS scene about a month into the season. Given the Union’s recently acquired center back depth, that would be less than ideal, obviously, but hardly crushing.
Now, the loan deal may be for a bigger club, Argentina’s Boca Juniors, and for a longer spell. More details are at Brotherly Game.
What makes all this particularly intriguing is that the Union, depending on how some things fall, could actually be in a situation where Valdes becomes surplus. That’s down to the recent acquisition of veteran center back Jeff Parke. And because former MLS Best XI center back Bakary Soumare was added late last year. And because Amobi Okugo emerged as a promising center back candidate in the final months of 2012, filling the position more than adequately as coach John Hackworth moved the talented U.S. under-23 out of midfield to a starting spot along the back line.
Clearly, this Valdes situation deserves watching – especially as one that could go several different ways.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team