Dec 29, 2012, 10:40 AM EST
It’s hard to say exactly what is going on with Philadelphia center back and captain Carlos Valdes, who is apparently going somewhere in January on loan.
Early reports had Valdes going to his former club in Colombia, Independiente Santa Fe, on a three-month loan assignment. That would put him back into the MLS scene about a month into the season. Given the Union’s recently acquired center back depth, that would be less than ideal, obviously, but hardly crushing.
Now, the loan deal may be for a bigger club, Argentina’s Boca Juniors, and for a longer spell. More details are at Brotherly Game.
What makes all this particularly intriguing is that the Union, depending on how some things fall, could actually be in a situation where Valdes becomes surplus. That’s down to the recent acquisition of veteran center back Jeff Parke. And because former MLS Best XI center back Bakary Soumare was added late last year. And because Amobi Okugo emerged as a promising center back candidate in the final months of 2012, filling the position more than adequately as coach John Hackworth moved the talented U.S. under-23 out of midfield to a starting spot along the back line.
Clearly, this Valdes situation deserves watching – especially as one that could go several different ways.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 1
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"