Swirl of loan possibilities for Philly defender Carlos Valdes

Dec 29, 2012, 10:40 AM EDT

FLB-WC2014-QUALIFIERS-COL-PAR

It’s hard to say exactly what is going on with Philadelphia center back and captain Carlos Valdes, who is apparently going somewhere in January on loan.

Early reports had Valdes going to his former club in Colombia, Independiente Santa Fe, on a three-month loan assignment. That would put him back into the MLS scene about a month into the season. Given the Union’s recently acquired center back depth, that would be less than ideal, obviously, but hardly crushing.

Now, the loan deal may be for a bigger club, Argentina’s Boca Juniors, and for a longer spell. More details are at Brotherly Game.

What makes all this particularly intriguing is that the  Union, depending on how some things fall, could actually be in a situation where Valdes becomes surplus. That’s down to the recent acquisition of veteran center back Jeff Parke. And because former MLS Best XI center back Bakary Soumare was added late last year. And because Amobi Okugo emerged as a promising center back candidate in the final months of 2012, filling the position more than adequately as coach John Hackworth moved the talented U.S. under-23 out of midfield to a starting spot along the back line.

Clearly, this Valdes situation deserves watching – especially as one that could go several different ways.

1. mvktr2 - Dec 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Slightly conflicted about this, mostly disappointed. There isn’t really a better center back in MLS, even including Omar Gonzalez whom I’d put as an equal, and it’s a league with lots of good CBs. Thus I hate to see the league and a team I follow lose him. Conversely it provides validation for the league and Union. That said I’d rather see Philly deal one of the other CBs.

The best CB isn’t surplus unless the others are very close to his quality, and that isn’t the case. I realize given MLS attacks you can probably get away with something like this, however for the fans the return has to be seen in dollars spent on the roster. Does this move wear him down as the season moves along when (if) he returns from the loan? There are risks to be weighed against the rewards of cash and playing time for one of your best players against significantly better players/teams at a place like Boca Juniors.

2. yesyesyooo - Dec 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM

it’s brotherly game

• Steve Davis - Dec 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM

A typo I promise! Not implying anything … promise! I love the site; very informative. (Fixed now)

• brotherlygame - Dec 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Truly appreciate that, Steve. Also, I just updated the story stream with a new article on this subject.

3. firewolf777 - Dec 29, 2012 at 3:52 PM

We would definitely miss him at PPL Park, but I would love to see him move on.
    I’ve always loved captain Valdes if he stays he is our best player by far.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?