Dec 30, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
Here’s a great number to ponder as we consider whether it’s already too late for Queens Park Rangers, whether the (relatively) newly moneyed team from West London are already too far behind to dodge relegation, never mind that it’s still 2012 and we’re just now past the Premiership halfway mark:
QPR is the 15th top-flight team in England to have 10 or fewer points from 20 games. The previous 14 all went down. (Thanks to Opta Sports for that one.)
Yikes. That’s what you call solid statistical evidence that it may, in fact, already be too late.
This matters, because resurrection specialist Harry Redknapp was brought in specifically to rescue the season. He would surely like to add a piece or two or three in the January transfer window. But honestly, can he add enough? Would it be wiser to save the money, spending some of it more strategically this summer for the attempted climb back into top-flight soccer?
Redknapp is remaining resolute – in public, at least. Here’s what he said after today’s loss:
I still believe we will get out of trouble. You mustn’t give up. If we can get one or two [new signings] in it could make the difference. It’s going to be hard. There’s plenty of game left. It is not impossible.
“We have to believe we can go on a run of winning games. I’m still upbeat, I’m not downbeat about it. Chelsea and Tottenham are flying and they are our next two games but you never know in football. Eight points is not insurmountable.”
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 1
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 5
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- VIDEOS: A brief history of recent “Olimpico” goals in MLS 3
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 7
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago