Dec 30, 2012, 2:32 PM EST
Here’s a great number to ponder as we consider whether it’s already too late for Queens Park Rangers, whether the (relatively) newly moneyed team from West London are already too far behind to dodge relegation, never mind that it’s still 2012 and we’re just now past the Premiership halfway mark:
QPR is the 15th top-flight team in England to have 10 or fewer points from 20 games. The previous 14 all went down. (Thanks to Opta Sports for that one.)
Yikes. That’s what you call solid statistical evidence that it may, in fact, already be too late.
This matters, because resurrection specialist Harry Redknapp was brought in specifically to rescue the season. He would surely like to add a piece or two or three in the January transfer window. But honestly, can he add enough? Would it be wiser to save the money, spending some of it more strategically this summer for the attempted climb back into top-flight soccer?
Redknapp is remaining resolute – in public, at least. Here’s what he said after today’s loss:
I still believe we will get out of trouble. You mustn’t give up. If we can get one or two [new signings] in it could make the difference. It’s going to be hard. There’s plenty of game left. It is not impossible.
“We have to believe we can go on a run of winning games. I’m still upbeat, I’m not downbeat about it. Chelsea and Tottenham are flying and they are our next two games but you never know in football. Eight points is not insurmountable.”
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 2
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 1
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)