Dec 30, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
Here’s a great number to ponder as we consider whether it’s already too late for Queens Park Rangers, whether the (relatively) newly moneyed team from West London are already too far behind to dodge relegation, never mind that it’s still 2012 and we’re just now past the Premiership halfway mark:
QPR is the 15th top-flight team in England to have 10 or fewer points from 20 games. The previous 14 all went down. (Thanks to Opta Sports for that one.)
Yikes. That’s what you call solid statistical evidence that it may, in fact, already be too late.
This matters, because resurrection specialist Harry Redknapp was brought in specifically to rescue the season. He would surely like to add a piece or two or three in the January transfer window. But honestly, can he add enough? Would it be wiser to save the money, spending some of it more strategically this summer for the attempted climb back into top-flight soccer?
Redknapp is remaining resolute – in public, at least. Here’s what he said after today’s loss:
I still believe we will get out of trouble. You mustn’t give up. If we can get one or two [new signings] in it could make the difference. It’s going to be hard. There’s plenty of game left. It is not impossible.
“We have to believe we can go on a run of winning games. I’m still upbeat, I’m not downbeat about it. Chelsea and Tottenham are flying and they are our next two games but you never know in football. Eight points is not insurmountable.”
Jun 18, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Brazil has infrastructure concerns. They’ve also spent $3.3 billion on soccer stadia. No surprise, people aren’t happy.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
The mythology of Ajax, Dutch soccer and one stars’ struggles outside the Dutch league make this potential transfer difficult to evaluate.
Jun 17, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
It’s only a matter of time before Ancelotti’s holding pattern’s resolved.
Jun 17, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT
It’s early days, but while City close the gap, Manchester United have yet to act.
Jun 17, 2013, 6:51 PM EDT
With a buy-out in his contract, Villas-Boas likely will be given a choice between Paris and London.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:59 PM EDT
Steve Bruce reunites with a player he brought to Wigan Athletic.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
Tahiti are a great story, but nobody wins when small countries get slaughtered by the world’s top teams.
Jun 17, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
The U.S. midfielder has successfully completed the concussion recovery protocol:
Jun 17, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
So just how serious are PSG? Word has it they’re ready to break the Premier League transfer record.
Jun 17, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
“It will be difficult to leave the Rapids after growing so close to the club and the fans in Colorado,” Mastroeni said in a statement.
Jun 17, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
If Tahiti are to score the goals will likely come from one of four Tehau family members: Lorenzo, Alvin, Teaonui or Jonathan.
Jun 17, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Justice has been served in Holland where six teenagers have been convicted of manslaughter for their part in kicking a linesman to death.
Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part III: Shunning complacency, and his second season at Tottenham Hotspur
Jun 17, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
In the last of three parts in ProSoccerTalk’s exclusive interview, Tottenham Hotspur and U.S. international Clint Dempsey talks about expectations for his second go-round at White Hart Lane:
Jun 17, 2013, 10:26 AM EDT
You know that cute little heart sign Gareth Bale makes every time he scores a goal? It’s about to get him paid.
Jun 17, 2013, 8:07 AM EDT
Joe Kinnear, the man who drove Newcastle to relegation in 2008-09, is returning to the club as the director of football.
Jun 17, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
In the second of three parts in ProSoccerTalk’s exclusive interview, Tottenham Hotspur and U.S. international Clint Dempsey talks a little about London and his American roots:
Jun 17, 2013, 7:19 AM EDT
“Robert will definitely be playing for Borussia Dortmund next season,” said BVB general manager Hans-Joachim Watzke.
Jun 17, 2013, 6:30 AM EDT
Big saves and red cards
Jun 16, 2013, 11:49 PM EDT
Villas-Boas, Laudrup have been linked. One makes sense, but should both show their EPL clubs loyalty?
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 3
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- This André Villas-Boas to Paris Saint-Germain link makes more sense by the day 0
- Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part III: Shunning complacency, and his second season at Tottenham Hotspur 2
- Three good questions for Clint Dempsey – Part II: London calling 1
- Criticism, negativity may leave Seattle with few rewards for their hosting efforts (20)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins go 'above and beyond' in Gm. 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public