Dec 30, 2012, 5:06 PM EST
First come the annual stories looking back on the year – and 2012 certainly was as eventful as it could be in soccer, now wasn’t it?
Next will come the pieces looking ahead to 2013. (I just took a look back at my piece from a year ago on the important stories ahead for 2012. Nailed some. Missed some.)
As we begin looking ahead to the important stories of 2013, one will dominate domestically: whether the United States qualifies for World Cup 2014. We will know the answer by November, latest, and probably by October. (With a little luck, Jurgen Klinsmann and his U.S. team may even have that sweetest of tickets punched by early September; the 8th of 10 final round qualifying dates for the United States goes off on Sept. 10.)
So … will they or won’t they?
Will Klinsmann get the United States into its seventh consecutive World Cup, or will domestic soccer supporter infrastructure implode from the worst case sum of all fears, that darkest of scenarios, where the U.S. fails to make the World Cup field. None other than Bruce Arena, the most successful U.S. soccer coach of all time, says it will happen sooner or later.
This piece from national team-centric American Soccer Now says you, the good, sweet, clean U.S. Soccer supporter, are awash in confidence.
Not a massive surprise here, but more than 90 percent of respondents to a high-techy, gizmo of a fan poll say the United States will safely navigate the coming final round and advance into World Cup 2014 in Brazil.
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season