Dec 30, 2012, 7:45 AM EDT
At this point, does anyone take Sepp Blatter seriously? At this point, FIFA’s president is really is more cartoon than legitimate decision maker to be heard and respected.
FIFA’s wacky president is at it again, saying something that demonstrates how utterly out of touch he has become with the rest of us Earthlings.
This time Blatter has picked Major League Soccer for demonstrating his ignorance. He has reiterated, once again, that MLS must conform to the international soccer calendar for its own good.
What Blatter told Fox Soccer Channel’s Eric Wynalda in a series of interview outtakes:
It would be better for US Soccer, and specifically also for the [United States] national team. And the popularity inside the country.”
He’s wrong. Dead wrong – at least about the popularity part. There are a dozen reasons why Major League Soccer operates on its current timetable. As I’ve written over and over, it may not be the right call 20 years down the road, but it continues to be the right call in 2012.
Still, you may agree with Blatter on this point. If so, that’s fine. But hopefully you have better rationale. Here is his:
[MLS teams] have to play in summer because they are using the stadia of American football. And when they have their own stadium, they can change the calendar- they have to change the calendar.”
Now, in most eyes, the man has not a shred of credibility. Whatever he had left disappeared a few years ago when he said women’s soccer would find its popularity rising if they wore “tighter shorts.” Yes, he actually said that.
But if a shred or two still dangles in your eyes, consider this:
Two clubs in MLS continue to operate inside NFL stadiums, New England and Seattle. The Sounders would surely have gone another route by now, but the cooperative situation works great for them.
So, that’s two out of 19, Mr. Blatter.
Apparently, he’s not paying much attention. But why should that stop him from telling MLS what’s up?
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 20
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (22)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination