Dec 30, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Transparent journalistic sourcing out of the English press being what it is – or more accurately, being what it usually is not – we must always file player movement stories somewhere between “accurate information” and “throwing spitballs to see if something sticks.”
One of today’s big talkers out of England says David Beckham is in talks to finish his illustrious playing days in China. That is according to this story in the Daily Mail.
If it’s true, he would join fellow EPL-exers Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka, both of whom have recently been drawn by the lure of big stacks of cash to Shanghai Shenhua. Beckham, of course, doesn’t need the green. Rather, it would be about expanding Brand Beckham and all that it implies.
What an unnamed source told The Daily Mail:
He has cracked Europe and America, he now has the chance to become huge in China and the Far East. This is a huge decision for him. While David wants one final challenge in football, a move to China is about more than that. It will push Brand Beckham to a whole new level.”
So this does deserve watching, if only because most of the important news related to Beckham has always come out of England, where his management handlers are based. That was true even for all the years Beckham has been based out of Los Angeles.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public