Favorite goal of 2012? Mine is down to Radamel Falcao or Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Dec 31, 2012, 1:55 PM EDT

Ibra celebrates

The top goal of this year comes down to a “this one” or “that one.”  There absolutely were some other dandies in 2012, but my list is down to two.

So, what were yours? If you do have a fav from 2k12, please let me know. Until then, I’m going to consider:

The first is Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s goal for Sweden against England back in November.

A wonderful goal scorer concocted the most wonderful of goals in a 4-2 win over England. It was a friendly, and it was in a loss, so the goal’s importance could never be measured against some of the other greats, Diego Maradona’s moment of wonder from 1986 or Marco van Basten’s stunner for Holland in the 1988 European Championship final against the U.S.S.R.

Still, the goal from “Ibra” was gem in its audacity, difficulty and technique.

As for top strikes of 2012, it was matched in my mind only by Radamel Falcao’s glorious goal for Atlético Madrid back in May.

Neither was this one vital for competitive pursuits. It was in a 2-1 win for the Spanish club in a friendly over Colombian side América De Cali.

But don’t let that stop you from enjoying it. Again.

1. Dan Haug - Dec 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I hate to be “that guy”… but it was a 4-2 win over England, not a loss (I’m sure it’s just a typo).

One of the things that really bears mentioning here is that it was Ibra’s 4th goal of the match. Against England.

I’ve gotta admit that I don’t like Ibra much. I think he’s an egotistical self-centered jerk. However, this may well be the best match performance in an international friendly of all-time. I know that’s a lot of caveates, but I really don’t think you can compare friendies to tournament matches. None-the-less, it’s hard to imagine a better perfromance from a player.

• Steve Davis - Dec 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Yep … now fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

2. tylerbetts - Dec 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Favorite? Much different than best goal.

My favorite goal was Drogba’s header, at the death, to pull Chelsea back even in the CL final. I’m a huge Drogba fan, so for him to get that moment for his team after putting in all the work to be everything they needed in the semifinals?

That was beautiful. It didn’t have the wow factor of Ibrahimovic’s goal. It didn’t have quite the wow factor of Falcao’s goal, either.

But there’s more to a favorite goal than just going wow. There’s context, meaning, and value.

• Steve Davis - Dec 31, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Good point. In this case, I am using those terms interchangeably, as in “best goal to watch” or “favorite goal to watch.” Really just speaking of the aesthetics here.

3. profootballcaulk - Dec 31, 2012 at 6:06 PM

The best I thought was by a player I’m actually not a fan of, Ronaldinho. His first goal of 3 against Figurense on June 10th. Some say it was lucky as he may have been putting the ball in the area but with his skills I think he actually shot it. Same as ibra’s I mean he is that skilled to have tried from that distance.
    Happy New Year

4. angeluzzo10 - Dec 31, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Both Falcao and Ibra are extraordinary strikers who, represented herein, scored two exceptional goals.

That being said, the goal of the year was scored by Fabrizio Miccoli of Palermo in Serie A.

The third goal of his hat trick on September 30th against Cheivo Verona was a full volley, following a 180 degree turn, from nearly midfield, and it capped off a brilliant night for the man who is Palermo’s all time leading scorer and captain.

So, there were many amazing strikes in 2012, but that goal by Miccoli was the very best.

• Dan Haug - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM

That was a pretty amazing strike. I think the Ibra goal competes with it, though. It’s tough to say which was better.

• angeluzzo10 - Jan 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I’m not taking anything away from Ibra or Falcao, but in my mind that Miccoli strike, given the balance, the turn, the distance, and awareness to see the keeper off his line all came together to be the best strike of the year.

As far as less “magical strikes” such as Miccoli, Ibra, and Falcao……..one also has to appreciate Oscar’s second goal for Chelsea against Juventus in the CL. The touch around the defender, the run back to the ball, the turn, and the strike…….incredible.

Lots of great goals in 2012. But Ibra and Falcao were both over head goals, and as far as over head strikes, Stefano Mauri’s overhead goal for Lazio was extrordinary as well.

Top five PL goals, Week 1