Dec 31, 2012, 1:55 PM EST
The top goal of this year comes down to a “this one” or “that one.” There absolutely were some other dandies in 2012, but my list is down to two.
So, what were yours? If you do have a fav from 2k12, please let me know. Until then, I’m going to consider:
The first is Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s goal for Sweden against England back in November.
A wonderful goal scorer concocted the most wonderful of goals in a 4-2 win over England. It was a friendly, and it was in a loss, so the goal’s importance could never be measured against some of the other greats, Diego Maradona’s moment of wonder from 1986 or Marco van Basten’s stunner for Holland in the 1988 European Championship final against the U.S.S.R.
Still, the goal from “Ibra” was gem in its audacity, difficulty and technique.
As for top strikes of 2012, it was matched in my mind only by Radamel Falcao’s glorious goal for Atlético Madrid back in May.
Neither was this one vital for competitive pursuits. It was in a 2-1 win for the Spanish club in a friendly over Colombian side América De Cali.
But don’t let that stop you from enjoying it. Again.
- Crystal Palace 3-1 Liverpool: Bolasie carves up Liverpool defense 1
- Report: Marco Reus is out for rest of 2014 with torn ankle ligament 2
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Marquee win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0