Dec 31, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
Chris Wondolowski nailed it. He got to the big mark, the MLS record for goals in a single season set long, long ago.
Clint Dempsey super nailed it. His record-setting campaign helped land a big, lucrative move to Tottenham, where the U.S. international has joined a bigger, more ambitious club.
We’d be talking more about Jozy Altidore if it were not for Dempsey’s big year. Altidore scored 25 goals during the calendar years.
A tip o’ the hat to Soccer America’s Paul Kennedy, who compiled this terrific list of 13 Americans earning their keep in top division soccer, who scored 10 or more goals in 2012.
The top three from the list, all of whom hit more than 20 in the calendar year (along with where the goals were scored):
Chris Wondolowski, San Jose Earthquakes … 27 goals
- MLS regular season, 27
Jozy Altidore (Holland’s AZ) … 25 goals
- Dutch Eredivisie, 21
- KNVB Beker, 4
Clint Dempsey (England’s Fulham and Tottenham) … 23 goals
- English Premier League, 14
- English FA Cup, 3
- United States, 6
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs 1
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 9 0
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 1
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0