Dec 31, 2012, 7:02 PM EST
Chris Wondolowski nailed it. He got to the big mark, the MLS record for goals in a single season set long, long ago.
Clint Dempsey super nailed it. His record-setting campaign helped land a big, lucrative move to Tottenham, where the U.S. international has joined a bigger, more ambitious club.
We’d be talking more about Jozy Altidore if it were not for Dempsey’s big year. Altidore scored 25 goals during the calendar years.
A tip o’ the hat to Soccer America’s Paul Kennedy, who compiled this terrific list of 13 Americans earning their keep in top division soccer, who scored 10 or more goals in 2012.
The top three from the list, all of whom hit more than 20 in the calendar year (along with where the goals were scored):
Chris Wondolowski, San Jose Earthquakes … 27 goals
- MLS regular season, 27
Jozy Altidore (Holland’s AZ) … 25 goals
- Dutch Eredivisie, 21
- KNVB Beker, 4
Clint Dempsey (England’s Fulham and Tottenham) … 23 goals
- English Premier League, 14
- English FA Cup, 3
- United States, 6
- Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Mourinho’s boys win League Cup trophy 0
- Three things we learned from Liverpool’s win vs. Manchester City 3
- Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City: Pair of Reds stunners stupefy City 4
- MLS roundup: LA Galaxy, Orlando, Red Bulls, Union, RSL, 13 others in preseason finales 0
- WATCH: NYCFC’s Mix Diskerud hits a screamer from 20 yards 0
- WATCH: Michael Bradley, Sebastian Giovinco combine for Jozy Altidore’s first Toronto FC goal 4