Dec 31, 2012, 8:58 AM EDT
The Houston Dynamo-organized efforts to create a Soccer Night Out for grief stricken Newtown was always a wonderful, worthy cause. It was the brainchild of Dynamo general manager Chris Canetti, a Connecticut native.
Now it’s a wonderful and worthy cause that has grown into something truly special thanks to some of the recognized volunteers.
Originally, Canetti and several prominent players arranged to visit Newtown, site of the terrible Dec. 14 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, on Jan. 7 to stage an event similar to ones they hold in and around Houston.
Now, names keep stacking up from the U.S. soccer community. Canetti revealed via Twitter over the weekend that U.S. women’s national team captain Christie Rampone and women’s soccer greats Mia Hamm and Kristine Lilly will participate in the night.
ESPN’s Alexi Lalas, a former national team star, will also take part.
And it sounds like the event will continue to grow over the next week:
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return