Dec 31, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
Word came out of England on Monday that veteran Tottenham goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini was moving out of London to join reigning MLS Cup champion LA Galaxy.
First and foremost, it means that the Galaxy’s goalkeeping situation just got a lot better. Cudicini has not played regularly since 2007-08 season at Chelsea. (He was a backup to Petr Cech that year, but played 19 times in a bad year of injury for the No. 1 at Stamford Bridge.) And he’s 39.
Still, it seems safe to say that LA’s situation between the pipes is better, if only because the Galaxy must no longer rely on Josh Saunders, who became increasingly unstable in 2012 on and off the field.
Here’s what else today’s big move (the last significant MLS move of 2012, it now seems safe to say) means for all involved:
- Saunders is probably done for good at LA. The Galaxy now has Cudicini, William Hesmer (acquired during the re-entry draft) and well regarded youngster Brian Perk.
- Given that he was 4th string at White Hart Lane and available on a free transfer, Cudicini presumably is not killing the Galaxy on salary. He certainly is not carrying a Designated Player tagging.
- Assuming the former Chelsea ‘keeper does start, he can provide a lot of veteran guidance to defense that may or may not have Omar Gonzalez around to be boss in the back.
- If Cudicini gets his medical and player pass all sorted out, he could be in goal as the Galaxy begins MLS regular season play on March 3, and then guard goal as Bruce Arena’s men face Costa Rica’s Herediano on March 7 in the first leg of the teams’ CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal.
- Preview: Early cycle friendly shelves normal questions for U.S. national team’s return 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – The faith-destroying edition 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan 0
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 6
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 1
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 14