Dec 31, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
Word came out of England on Monday that veteran Tottenham goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini was moving out of London to join reigning MLS Cup champion LA Galaxy.
First and foremost, it means that the Galaxy’s goalkeeping situation just got a lot better. Cudicini has not played regularly since 2007-08 season at Chelsea. (He was a backup to Petr Cech that year, but played 19 times in a bad year of injury for the No. 1 at Stamford Bridge.) And he’s 39.
Still, it seems safe to say that LA’s situation between the pipes is better, if only because the Galaxy must no longer rely on Josh Saunders, who became increasingly unstable in 2012 on and off the field.
Here’s what else today’s big move (the last significant MLS move of 2012, it now seems safe to say) means for all involved:
- Saunders is probably done for good at LA. The Galaxy now has Cudicini, William Hesmer (acquired during the re-entry draft) and well regarded youngster Brian Perk.
- Given that he was 4th string at White Hart Lane and available on a free transfer, Cudicini presumably is not killing the Galaxy on salary. He certainly is not carrying a Designated Player tagging.
- Assuming the former Chelsea ‘keeper does start, he can provide a lot of veteran guidance to defense that may or may not have Omar Gonzalez around to be boss in the back.
- If Cudicini gets his medical and player pass all sorted out, he could be in goal as the Galaxy begins MLS regular season play on March 3, and then guard goal as Bruce Arena’s men face Costa Rica’s Herediano on March 7 in the first leg of the teams’ CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal.
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 6
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues 15
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (36)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (21)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (15)