Dec 31, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
Word came out of England on Monday that veteran Tottenham goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini was moving out of London to join reigning MLS Cup champion LA Galaxy.
First and foremost, it means that the Galaxy’s goalkeeping situation just got a lot better. Cudicini has not played regularly since 2007-08 season at Chelsea. (He was a backup to Petr Cech that year, but played 19 times in a bad year of injury for the No. 1 at Stamford Bridge.) And he’s 39.
Still, it seems safe to say that LA’s situation between the pipes is better, if only because the Galaxy must no longer rely on Josh Saunders, who became increasingly unstable in 2012 on and off the field.
Here’s what else today’s big move (the last significant MLS move of 2012, it now seems safe to say) means for all involved:
- Saunders is probably done for good at LA. The Galaxy now has Cudicini, William Hesmer (acquired during the re-entry draft) and well regarded youngster Brian Perk.
- Given that he was 4th string at White Hart Lane and available on a free transfer, Cudicini presumably is not killing the Galaxy on salary. He certainly is not carrying a Designated Player tagging.
- Assuming the former Chelsea ‘keeper does start, he can provide a lot of veteran guidance to defense that may or may not have Omar Gonzalez around to be boss in the back.
- If Cudicini gets his medical and player pass all sorted out, he could be in goal as the Galaxy begins MLS regular season play on March 3, and then guard goal as Bruce Arena’s men face Costa Rica’s Herediano on March 7 in the first leg of the teams’ CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
If punditry doesn’t work for Scholes, sign him up as Man United’s top player recruiter. At least he aims high.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Watch in 90 seconds the construction of Avaya Stadium, from Day 1 to Game 1.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:17 PM EDT
Another month out for Sturridge, just when Liverpool’s top-four dreams rest on his shoulders the most.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
You couldn’t get this one anymore wrong, UEFA. 10-times worse than racism? Not OK.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:54 PM EDT
Solo said her 30-day suspension was full of therapy, apologies to her teammates and getting herself right for this summer’s World Cup.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:04 PM EDT
This weekend’s EURO 2016 qualifiers marks the halfway point of the group stage, which means it’s do-or-die time for a few hopefuls, and some giants.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The “Special One” received a rather special amount of cash in 2014.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Reports claim Pjanic is ready to leave Roma after four years in the Italian capital.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:42 PM EDT
Xavi is heading to Qatar on a three-year deal, will get paid $11 million per season.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Here’s a look at the players with the highest revenue in 2014.
Mar 26, 2015, 1:36 PM EDT
Blues legend extends his stay at the Bridge.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
When he’s not ripping apart Premier League defenses, Sanchez loves to unwind by tickling the ivory.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:12 PM EDT
Barcelona ace had a pretty decent 2014…
Mar 26, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
Shakhtar’s star striker set to leave in December when his contract runs out.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
Saints midfielder speaks of his desire to play in the UCL, reassess his future this summer.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
Ronaldo could be in trouble after enticing Barca’s fans.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT
Walcott denies a “bust-up” with Wenger over contract talks.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:58 AM EDT
The German international playmaker is aiming to join the Messi’s and Ronaldo’s of this world.
Mar 25, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
The MLS disciplinary committee was busy after this last weekend.
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 2
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 3
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo could be fined, suspended for “calm down” celebration 4
- Three things we learned from the USA’s late defeat vs. Denmark 6