Dec 31, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
Word came out of England on Monday that veteran Tottenham goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini was moving out of London to join reigning MLS Cup champion LA Galaxy.
First and foremost, it means that the Galaxy’s goalkeeping situation just got a lot better. Cudicini has not played regularly since 2007-08 season at Chelsea. (He was a backup to Petr Cech that year, but played 19 times in a bad year of injury for the No. 1 at Stamford Bridge.) And he’s 39.
Still, it seems safe to say that LA’s situation between the pipes is better, if only because the Galaxy must no longer rely on Josh Saunders, who became increasingly unstable in 2012 on and off the field.
Here’s what else today’s big move (the last significant MLS move of 2012, it now seems safe to say) means for all involved:
- Saunders is probably done for good at LA. The Galaxy now has Cudicini, William Hesmer (acquired during the re-entry draft) and well regarded youngster Brian Perk.
- Given that he was 4th string at White Hart Lane and available on a free transfer, Cudicini presumably is not killing the Galaxy on salary. He certainly is not carrying a Designated Player tagging.
- Assuming the former Chelsea ‘keeper does start, he can provide a lot of veteran guidance to defense that may or may not have Omar Gonzalez around to be boss in the back.
- If Cudicini gets his medical and player pass all sorted out, he could be in goal as the Galaxy begins MLS regular season play on March 3, and then guard goal as Bruce Arena’s men face Costa Rica’s Herediano on March 7 in the first leg of the teams’ CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Malky Mackay can’t escape Vincent Tan after Cardiff owner files report with FA that prompts Palace to withdraw managerial offer.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Will Cristiano Ronaldo’s back injury prevent him from playing the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Liverpool fans can finally kiss goodbye that Warrior label but will that improve the designs?
Aug 20, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Dzeko becomes the sixth player this summer to sign a new contract with City.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
D.C. welcome Jamaican side Waterhouse to RFK, while Montreal head to El Salvador in CCL group stages.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Red Devils finally land their man as Argentine defender signs five-year deal.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Nani is being paid his Manchester United wages in full… to play for Sporting Lisbon.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The diminutive Croatian midfielder will remain at Real after proving himself in the Spanish capital.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Check this out: one of the craziest tattoos from a soccer fan, ever.
Aug 20, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Fer, 24, is back in the Premier League as QPR capture box-to-box midfielder.
Aug 20, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Set to arrive in MLS in 2017, the league’s newest franchise has already sold a staggering number of season tickets.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Wenger: “It’s very difficult to understand but, in the second half, the performance of the referee was very bad.”
Aug 20, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Muller: “The amount that foreign clubs were offering me was astronomical. But Bayern are my club.”
Aug 20, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Fernandez arrives from Napoli as Swans sign Argentine center back.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Following his alleged racist comments, leader of Italian soccer facing lengthy ban.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Arsenal to miss out on Carvalho, Nastasic, as rumors continue to swirl. Check out the latest gossip, here.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:28 AM EDT
Barcelona banned by FIFA from signing any new players from September 2014 to January 2016.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Spurs set to hand Red Devils duo escape route from Old Trafford?
Aug 20, 2014, 1:47 AM EDT
Portland victorious in CCL debut,while Club América affirmed their place as one of the competition’s favorites.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
21-year-old striker may turn to the 2.Bundesliga to get his young career back on track.
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 6
- No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 3
- Report: Tottenham set to raid Manchester United, line up Fellaini, Hernandez deals 6
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 1
- PST Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Fabián Castillo 0