Jan 1, 2013, 9:55 AM EST
I know all the “Best of” platters should have been left back in 2012 – but that’s more of a guideline than a rule, after all.
So I give you the best goal from a U.S. man in 2012. It was Jozy Altidore’s run for Alkmaar through the RKC Waalwijk defense back in September. The U.S. striker, who had an eventful year, to say the least, had a goal and an assist in a 3-3 draw that day.
By the way, when I picked this goal, I looked only at the aesthetics; there were absolutely more important goals scored by Clint Dempsey, Altidore, Chris Wondolowski and other U.S. men in 2012.
No, the Dutch Eredivisie is certainly not known for defense. And tackling looked like more of a suggestion than a requirement from the Waalwijk defense. (Maybe they save all the defending for October?)
At any rate, it was still a pretty nifty goal. Enjoy:
- Now that it’s happening, MLS’s 20th season is sure to be the best one yet 1
- 2015 MLS season preview: Real Salt Lake 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: LA Galaxy 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: Portland Timbers 0
- PST predicts Major League Soccer’s 2015 standings; Do you agree? 8
- Premier League Playback: With 10 games to go, here’s how things stand 2