Jan 1, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
You read it here first: Clint Dempsey simply cannot stop scoring in 2013!
After reasonable success over his first few months with Tottenham Hotspur, the U.S. international has rung in the New Year with his first goal at home for the North London club.
Dempsey entered in the 76th minute Tuesday – a full round of English Premier League games rang in the New Year for the world’s most-watched association – with Tottenham ahead of Reading, 2-1.
His first touch was a turn about 30 yards from goal. Never afraid of shooting or taking on defenders (audacity has always marked the man’s game), Dempsey aimed and shot toward Reading goal.
His shot took a quick deflection and then dropped in behind stranded goalkeeper Adam Federici. That was the final strike in Spurs’ 3-1 win.
It was an important strike; Reading was gaining momentum, having just missed on two swell chances to equalize at the other end.
This was Dempsey’s second consecutive appearance off the bench from manager Andre Villas-Boas; battling a groin injury recently, the Texas native also came in as a substitute in the club’s big weekend win at Sunderland.
Dempsey now has four goals for Spurs.
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 1
- Schalke 0-5 Chelsea: Blues with an untouchable performance against old boss 0
- Lionel Messi breaks Raul’s record for Champions League goals (video) 0
- LIVE – Champions League: Manchester City vs. Bayern Munich, Chelsea to Schalke 0
- Report: Sony will not renew sponsorship with FIFA over future World Cup shroud 3