Jan 1, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
You read it here first: Clint Dempsey simply cannot stop scoring in 2013!
After reasonable success over his first few months with Tottenham Hotspur, the U.S. international has rung in the New Year with his first goal at home for the North London club.
Dempsey entered in the 76th minute Tuesday – a full round of English Premier League games rang in the New Year for the world’s most-watched association – with Tottenham ahead of Reading, 2-1.
His first touch was a turn about 30 yards from goal. Never afraid of shooting or taking on defenders (audacity has always marked the man’s game), Dempsey aimed and shot toward Reading goal.
His shot took a quick deflection and then dropped in behind stranded goalkeeper Adam Federici. That was the final strike in Spurs’ 3-1 win.
It was an important strike; Reading was gaining momentum, having just missed on two swell chances to equalize at the other end.
This was Dempsey’s second consecutive appearance off the bench from manager Andre Villas-Boas; battling a groin injury recently, the Texas native also came in as a substitute in the club’s big weekend win at Sunderland.
Dempsey now has four goals for Spurs.
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 6
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues 15
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (36)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (21)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (15)