Jan 1, 2013, 1:32 PM EDT
January is here, and that means the transfer speculation and scuttlebutt that was on low simmer through the last weeks of 2012 will now be on full boil for the first month of 2013.
For no real reason, a great place to start is Wesley Sniejder, who has been cast down to “forgotten man” status around Inter Milan.
The Dutch international is under contract for Inter through 2015, but he wants a move and certainly needs one, having been dropped from the first team at the San Siro. None of this is a secret, of course.
What the Dutch playmaker said Monday:
Clearly it’s best for everyone concerned that in January I am transferred. If that doesn’t happen then I will stay. I have a contract with Inter until 2015.”
In the same press conference, Sneijder denied reports linking him to any imminent move to Liverpool. “Again, no truth,” he said. On Sunday, Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport reported that Liverpool had offered about $15 million for Sneijder.
Of course, denials from the Dutchman won’t stop anyone from maintaining speculation. There has also been talk of a move to Tottenham, although Sneijder’s Dutch agent has moved to quash that one, too.
Remember, too, this was a man sought not so long ago by none other than Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United. Who wouldn’t want a player of Sneijder’s quality – especially if he can be had somehow at “quick sale” price?
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes