Jan 1, 2013, 1:32 PM EDT
January is here, and that means the transfer speculation and scuttlebutt that was on low simmer through the last weeks of 2012 will now be on full boil for the first month of 2013.
For no real reason, a great place to start is Wesley Sniejder, who has been cast down to “forgotten man” status around Inter Milan.
The Dutch international is under contract for Inter through 2015, but he wants a move and certainly needs one, having been dropped from the first team at the San Siro. None of this is a secret, of course.
What the Dutch playmaker said Monday:
Clearly it’s best for everyone concerned that in January I am transferred. If that doesn’t happen then I will stay. I have a contract with Inter until 2015.”
In the same press conference, Sneijder denied reports linking him to any imminent move to Liverpool. “Again, no truth,” he said. On Sunday, Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport reported that Liverpool had offered about $15 million for Sneijder.
Of course, denials from the Dutchman won’t stop anyone from maintaining speculation. There has also been talk of a move to Tottenham, although Sneijder’s Dutch agent has moved to quash that one, too.
Remember, too, this was a man sought not so long ago by none other than Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United. Who wouldn’t want a player of Sneijder’s quality – especially if he can be had somehow at “quick sale” price?
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 1
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 6
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3