Jan 1, 2013, 1:32 PM EDT
January is here, and that means the transfer speculation and scuttlebutt that was on low simmer through the last weeks of 2012 will now be on full boil for the first month of 2013.
For no real reason, a great place to start is Wesley Sniejder, who has been cast down to “forgotten man” status around Inter Milan.
The Dutch international is under contract for Inter through 2015, but he wants a move and certainly needs one, having been dropped from the first team at the San Siro. None of this is a secret, of course.
What the Dutch playmaker said Monday:
Clearly it’s best for everyone concerned that in January I am transferred. If that doesn’t happen then I will stay. I have a contract with Inter until 2015.”
In the same press conference, Sneijder denied reports linking him to any imminent move to Liverpool. “Again, no truth,” he said. On Sunday, Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport reported that Liverpool had offered about $15 million for Sneijder.
Of course, denials from the Dutchman won’t stop anyone from maintaining speculation. There has also been talk of a move to Tottenham, although Sneijder’s Dutch agent has moved to quash that one, too.
Remember, too, this was a man sought not so long ago by none other than Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United. Who wouldn’t want a player of Sneijder’s quality – especially if he can be had somehow at “quick sale” price?
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 0
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 0
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 0
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 4
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0
- WATCH: Special ‘Transfer Deadline Day show’ live online, NBCSN 0