Jan 1, 2013, 9:19 AM EDT
New years are all about clean slates and change for the better. Or they should be.
One prominent domestic soccer news site hopes to see a major policy shift in 2013 for the U.S. soccer establishment.
The Shin Guardian has initiated an on-line petition encouraging U.S. Soccer to withdraw its support for controversial FIFA president Sepp Blatter.
U.S. Soccer has always been in an awkward position regarding FIFA’s chief, surely opposed to misogynistic and homophobic attitudes. And U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati and others in soccer’s governing body here can’t appreciate disparaging (and fairly ignorant) comments Blatter has issued on the game and its growth in the United States.
They definitely bristle at the ongoing concerns of corruption in high-level FIFA dealings.
On the other hand, there’s a lot of power centralized in FIFA’s Zurich offices; at some level, it assists in domestic endeavors to go along and get along, unappealing as that may be. So, yes, it’s a delicate situation.
Will the Shin Guardian efforts create any real traction in guiding U.S. Soccer’s leaders toward a different stance on Blatter? Hard to know … but power to the people, and all, I say. You decide!
Here’s the link to the petition, along with the site’s case for advocacy in this effort.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public