Jan 1, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Normally, I’m not one to overly promote The Man. Google certainly is The Man these days. (One caveat: I have no problem promoting The NBC Man, who ultimately signs my paychecks. What can I say?)
But the Google Zeitgeist Review of 2012 is awesome stuff.
In the 60-second version I saw on a morning news show, the MLS Cup champion Los Angeles Galaxy gets a quick shot; it’s the crescendo moment of the team’s MLS Cup championship celebration, as arms go up, the trophy goes up, confetti goes up and the grandchild in coach Bruce Arena’s arm goes up in triumph, as well. Great shot, guys!
It’s not in the Google 2012 Review video version that goes two minutes and change (unless I’m just missing it). But I do see three direct references to soccer, not counting random soccer t-shirts or jerseys in the background. (And also not counting the Red Bull brand logo plastered prominently across Felix Baumgartner suit as he jumps from 24 miles above Earth.)
So … dig, if you will, this amazing series of pictures. And try to spot Spain’s European Championship celebration, Chelsea’s UEFA Champions League celebration and a very, very quick glimpse of Pele. That one is the toughie.
(And tell me if I missed any, pretty please.)
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 6
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 1
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- Sporting KC Sign Antonio Dovale
- Cruz Azul Ready to Continue Good Form in CONCACAF
- Escalada's Brace Against Leon Puts Emelec at Top in Libertadores Cup
- Galaxy Know Home Cooking is key to Beating Tijuana
- Santos Waste Away Advantage Against Venezuelan Minnows in Libertadores Cup
- Sporting Ready for Champions League Test
- Kaká Becomes First Brazilian to Reach 30 Goals in the Champions League
- Gaston Fernandez Unstoppable in Major League Soccer Debut
- Former NUFC & England Warren Barton Looks to put San Diego on the Map
- Galaxy vs Xolos: Local International Derby