Jan 2, 2013, 5:57 PM EST
Whoever said their eight-goal win over Aston Villa could turn Chelsea’s season around got way too far ahead of himself. While subsequent wins at Norwich City and Everton reinforced that view, today’s 1-0 loss to last place Queens Park Rangers throws all that out the window.
Consider the depths to which this QPR team had fallen. They were three points back of Reading for 19th in the Premier League. A three-game losing streak left them with only 10 points in 21 games. Their league-worst attack had only scored once during their losing three, with two consecutive losses at home giving them little reason to think a West London Derby at Stamford Bridge would turn out well.
And in truth, QPR wan’t that impressive. Defensively, they did well to hold out, but the performance wasn’t so much better than one we would have seen under Mark Hughes. Though 11 of Chelsea’s 26 shots were blocked, there was still enough room for the Blues to break through, particularly given 14 corner kicks and the 36 crosses a compact Rangers’ defense allowed them to pump into the box.
Only able to convert two of their 26 shots into tests for Julio César, it was a pure lack of execution that cost Chelsea. Perhaps the team didn’t take QPR seriously enough (who can blame them), with Juan Mata and Eden Hazard starting on the bench for what should have been an easy match.
And maybe there was some back luck, a Branislav Ivanovic header scraping off the cross bar at one point. Regardless, there can be few excuses for a team with this talent to show so poorly at home to the league’s worst team.
It’s a question that will come up every time Chelsea has a setback, but until they can transcend their issues, it still bears asking: Are the Blues any better off after firing Roberto Di Matteo? At times, they have been, like at Sunderland and during their trouncing of Villa. But losing a trophy in Japan was telling, while today’s loss to a lightly regarded rival was embarrassing.
Living with Rafa, it’s going to be all about the results. There’s no emotional attachment to him like there was with Di Matteo. He doesn’t have the loyalty that Carlo Ancelotti’s affability engendered. He’ll never be as respected as José Mourinho. So if Chelsea’s not winning, supporters have little else to hold onto.
The loss keeps Chelsea fourth in England. They still have a match in hand, but now seven points back of second place City, the urge to look up is gone. After you lose to a team like QPR, it’s better to focus on where you are rather than where you want to be.
Dec 13, 2013, 4:56 PM EST
His second trade in four months, the veteran midfielder is on his way back to Texas…for the other side. In the other direction goes a proven goalscorer coming off a season of struggle.
Dec 13, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
A move in the works for a few days is completed, but it’s just the first step in Toronto FC’s offseason master plan.
Dec 13, 2013, 3:27 PM EST
The Chelsea manager was amused at the links of Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney to London in January.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:55 PM EST
Can Arsenal break through City’s splendid home form?
Dec 13, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
The Dynamo will honor Brian Ching with several unique on-field features.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:57 PM EST
Mullins, Tshuma lead Maryland into a surprising Friday final four in Philadelphia.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Where to watch all the action ahead in a blockbuster weekend of PL match ups:
Dec 13, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
History says there are goals a-comin’ in Saturday’s match-up at St. James Park
Dec 13, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
“Average” play of midfielder more troubling during subpar start for Red Devils.
Dec 13, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
Sure there’s science behind the Brazuca, but what good is that without video of the ball shattering dinner plates and other housewares?
Dec 13, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
David Moyes reveals RVP will face yet another spell on the sidelines after aggravating a thigh injury:
Dec 13, 2013, 9:22 AM EST
Gunners aim to go eight-points clear by winning at the Etihad, Wenger plays it cool:
Dec 13, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
NBC News’ Ben Popken gets the lowdown on the new World Cup ball. Good news… a Jabulani, it is not:
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 2
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 4
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy