Jan 2, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
The number of head coaching vacancies in Major League Soccer is about to be cut in half. That’s because Gary McAllister, long-linked with the job in Harrison, appears set to be named head coach of the New York Red Bulls.
An announcement could happen as early as today, with a formal unveiling expected later this week.
McAllister’s last long term head coaching job was with Leeds United in 2008. With only caretaker stints at Aston Villa (where he was an assistant) between then a now, there’s little to say what he’ll bring to Red Bull area.
He’s Scottish, has a long history in the English game (playing for Leicester City, Leeds, Coventry City, and Liverpool), and is being brought in by two men (Andy Roxburgh and Gerard Houllier) hiring him based on his time in British football. Draw whatever stereotyping conclusions you want from that. They may be correct.
Given the wait-and-see approach we’ll have to take regarding McAllister’s on-field contributions, the most interesting parts of this story are …
- a.) Now only Montreal is left without a coach. At last rumble, Impact owner Joey Saputo’s list was down to two candidates.
- b.) FOX Soccer personality and U.S. Men’s National Team legend Eric Wynalda had talked with the team about the job. That Roxburgh and Houllier went in a different direction shows they have no aspirations to make my life as easy as possible.
- c.) McAllister initially wanted $2 million to take the job, which sounds perfectly reasonable for an coach with limited managerial experience moving to a league with financial constraints that’s notoriously hard on imported coaches.
Steve’s talked about the foreign coach phenomenon, while I tend to take every opportunity I can to denounce Anglophilia in North American soccer culture. So on the surface, there is a lot for PST to dislike about this move.
But McAllister is a respected name, and not only because of his 23-year playing career or his 57 caps for Scotland. He has earned enough coaching credibility that a boss’s job was inevitable. That he’s elected to take one in Major League Soccer rather than descending the Football League’s ladder could prove a good lifestyle and career move. Success at a club with New York’s profile would be noticed back home (thanks to Thierry Henry).
Whether McAllister finds that success will depend on his willingness to adapt the the landscape. It’s been two short years since an Englishman led a club to a title (Gary Smith with Colorado in 2010). That will be the expectation in New York.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Rog, Davo, Mustoe and Earle hang out in the panic room and preview the upcoming PL season.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:37 AM EDT
Eight years after a loan spell, Gradel returns to Bournemouth.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Dutch club reach “agreement in outline” with Bundesliga side Bremen for AJ.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
Apparently Louis van Gaal really, really wants Gareth Bale on his team.
Aug 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EDT
Could the USMNT forward be thinking about a move to the Bundesliga?
Aug 3, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Bobby Zamora has returned to his old club 12 years after leaving, and Brighton fans couldn’t be more excited.
Aug 3, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Gonzalo Higuain won’t be leaving Napoli this summer, but he’s not impressed by the club’s feeble attempt at a contract extension.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
A massive blow to Juventus puts them on alert for midfield cover.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Liverpool has spent big for the second straight summer, but it appears the Reds may have learned a valuable lesson.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Rafael’s rocky seven-year tenure with Manchester United is over as he heads to France.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Not a great deal has changed in the world of Premier League goalkeepers this offseason, but among the differences is a huge one: Petr Cech has moved from Chelsea to Arsenal.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
PST selects the strongest XI’s for each PL team ahead of the 2015-16 season. Let us know what you think.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:43 PM EDT
Ronaldo is not happy. Not at all.
Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Forwards both left off Real’s Audi Cup squad after training ground injuries.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
All of the latest gossip from around the PL, right here.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Wenger and Mourinho’s feud continues, but should both manager’s bite the bullet and make up?
Aug 3, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
PSG’s skipper Silva is risking the wrath of United’s fans around the globe.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Real Madrid superstar is a baller on and off the pitch.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:55 AM EDT
Eagles sign young English striker from Black Cats.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:02 AM EDT
Costa remains a huge injury worry for Chelsea heading into the new season.
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 0
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 8
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 7
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 5