Jan 2, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
Remember all those hours ago when it seemed MLS was down to one head coaching vacancy? Well go back to that point, McFly, hit the delete button, and pretend we never thought the New York Red Bulls’ coaching search was over.
The Harrison-based team has told MLSSoccer.com that no offer’s been extended to Gary McAllister, an clarification seemingly made to clear the decks. Previous reports said the former Scottish international would be confirmed later this week, but after one call with the league’s website, the news is in doubt.
While this would normally be a he said, she said between outlets with different sources, in this case, one outlet is the league’s website. It’s practically a press release:
A source familiar with the negotiations told MLSsoccer.com that the club has not extended an offer to McAllister (above, left), the former Scottish international who has been rumored as Backe’s replacement since the Red Bulls bowed out of the Eastern Conference semifinals in November.
The Red Bulls are not expected to make an announcement about the coaching search this week as reported, according to the source. The club had no official comment when contacted by MLSsoccer.com
Say what you want about the league’s main news outlet having such close ties to the business itself, but when they post a story like this, their source wins. Don’t expect McAllister to be announced this week (unless this is just New York throwing us off the scent).
- Watch Live: Chicago Fire at San Jose Earthquakes (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- Liverpool 0-1 AS Roma: Marco Borriello winner gives Italians victory at Fenway 0
- Houston Dynamo land USMNT legend DaMarcus Beasley 1
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. AS Roma (Lineups and Discuss) 1
- USMNT prospect Gedion Zelalem on Arsenal’s roster for Red Bulls match 4
- Stripping Russia of World Cup 2018? Germany makes the argument 8