Jan 3, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
What Richard Farley saw has finally, it seems, come true.
Seattle Sounders forward Fredy Montero will almost certainly join Colombian side Millonarios on a six-month loan. Soccer By Ives reports there’s a six-month option to extend the loan and an option to buy the man who netted 60 goals with the Pacific Northwest club for $4.5 million.
When rumors of the move first surfaced, the argument seemed to be that Montero wanted to be in Colombia to attract the attention of national team coach José Pekerman. Farley neatly dispelled that line of thought, writing “The idea that Major League Soccer would be looked down on my an international coach isn’t shocking, but Pekerman doesn’t appear to be that man. He has called in Philadelphia’s Carlos Valdes, starting the defender for recent World Cup qualifiers.”
So why are Montero and the Seattle Sounders parting ways (assuming they are)? Cash money, yo. The forward is expensive, filling a Designated Player slot. The Sounders have a resurgent Eddie Johnson, a returning Steve Zakuani, an inspired Mario Martínez (if they want him), and an exciting Christian Tiffert.
If it’s true, this works out well for everyone. The Sounders get cap relief and a DP slot back (assuming the option to buy happens). Montero gets to return to Colombia where he’s had such success and play in Copa Liberatores. All good things, you know?
Did you say you wanted a video of all of Montero’s goal in 2011? Fantastic. (His hair was so short!)
May 20, 2013, 11:58 PM EDT
Expect this one to get worked out.
May 20, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
If Real Madrid’s going to shake things up, Higuaín could do worse than land at The Emirates.
May 20, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Four players were on the original list. None of them may end up at Stamford Bridge.
May 20, 2013, 8:13 PM EDT
Our sympathy continues to grow for a man in a bad spot.
May 20, 2013, 7:21 PM EDT
MLS will not have arrived until it has a high-profile feces incident.
May 20, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
It probably won’t happen this summer, and if it does … I’m sure we’ll run that into the ground, too.
May 20, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
For a moment, it looked like Milan had fired their coaching staff … via an open letter from a television show.
May 20, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
Real Madrid would have been in line for an eight-digit payday had they sold Mourinho to Chelsea.
May 20, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Odds on current U.S. Men’s National Team boss Jurgen Klinsmann to become Everton’s next permanent manager have dropped heavily today.
May 20, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Wherein we justify the selection of a center back, which always seems to be a requirement in these things:
May 20, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Sky Blue FC validates, Ali Krieger resonates, and four teams start to feel the toll of the new season.
May 20, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
What’s been coming for a long time is now official. Jose Mourinho’s three-year tenure at Real Madrid has a finish line.
May 20, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Ben Olsen? Frank Klopas? … Someone else?
May 20, 2013, 1:47 PM EDT
The big, soon-to-be out of contract Galaxy center backs says talks with MLS commenced:
May 20, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
That’s sarcasm. Ruiz was always bound to cause headaches, one way or the other:
May 20, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
The first-year Red Bulls center back made a huge imprint on New York’s win over Los Angeles:
May 20, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
There is still plenty of star appeal as the Europa League champs’ roster for a quick two-game tour of the United States:
May 20, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
Kljestan becomes the fifth American to defend a title in a top league:
May 20, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
The Scottish striker will hardly be missed around Vancouver:
May 19, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Sporting K.C. manager Peter Vermes and defender Ike Opera didn’t appreciate the pivotal offsides call that disallowed a possible winning goal against D.C. United, and they made that very obvious.
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 1
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 5
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- VIDEOS: A brief history of recent “Olimpico” goals in MLS 3
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 7
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago