Jan 4, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
Resurrection specialist Harry Redknapp, who still has his work cut out at relegation-threatened Queens Park Rangers despite this week’s encouraging result, has ruled out a chase for two prominent MLS men.
Loan rumors have been long and strong on LA Galaxy forward Robbie Keane and (to a slightly lesser extent) Red Bulls forward Tim Cahill. Both are former EPL men.
Either one could presumably assist the cause around Loftus Road, where QPR remains in last place, never mind having spent liberally in the summer transfer window, hoping to be a real player in the high-dollar EPL stakes. Instead, they are fighting to avoid a notorious drop.
This week’s shocking win at nearby Chelsea has provided fresh hope, and Redknapp will make his best effort to police up a couple of helpers from the transfer market. But the Red Bulls striker and Galaxy striker won’t be in the manager’s plans. That’s what he told British press on Friday:
Of course, Redknapp is saying what all of us have said for weeks, that the MLS off-season is so short that these loan deals don’t seem to make much sense. And short of some temporary salary relief, the MLS clubs aren’t getting much out of these deals.
Still, it lands with greater impact when someone like Redknapp says … :
They are both top players but it will only be a short- term loan and that’s the problem. You take them for just six weeks but then you lose them at a time when you still have another 10-12 games to stay up. They’d improve any team but I’m not close to doing anything with them.”
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 0
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Defiant win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0
- Arsenal 1-2 Manchester United: Too little too late for Giroud and the chance-squandering Gunners 1