Jan 4, 2013, 9:09 AM EDT
The head coach may change at Montreal, but one thing will apparently remain very much the same:
The Major League Soccer team located in French-speaking Montreal will continue to have a strong Italian influence.
Words comes this morning that attacking midfielder Andrea Pisanu will soon be officially added to Montreal roster. The former Parma and Bologna man recently joined the Impact on a post-season tour.
Reports say Pisanu will join Montreal on a one-year loan.
This would give Montreal a fifth player with strong ties to Italy’s Serie A. The others are strikers Marco Di Vaio, midfielder Felipe Martins, defender Matteo Ferrari and former Italian national team defender Alessando Nesta.
Italian striker Bernardo Corradi was recently released from the team.
All of that is fine. Italy has a wonderful soccer tradition and won its most recent World Cup just a few short years ago, claiming the 2006 trophy in Germany. But shouldn’t the Impact perhaps be focused a little more squarely on find a coach?
Don’t forget, Jesse Marsch left the club back in early November by mutual agreement; the Impact have less than two weeks to find a coach before the Jan. 17 MLS Draft in Indianapolis.
(*No truth to the rumors that Montreal is working hard to acquire Italian goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini from the Galaxy, following his signing just a few days ago.)
*Clearly, I just made that up
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 6
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 8
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final