Jan 4, 2013, 11:56 AM EST
Let’s add Real Salt Lake president Bill Manning to what I will call the “Coalition of the Sensible” regarding a switch to the international soccer calendar.
I have long been on record on this: we may be at a point in 15 or 20 years where a conversation on synching up to the FIFA calendar makes some sense. But not now. Remember when we talked about it just a few short days ago?
In the Salt Lake Tribune this morning Manning addressed the topic, referencing the fact that it was 17 degrees outside. That’s Fahrenheit, by the way! Allow me to translate that into universal language: “Brrrrr!”
Here’s what Manning said about the possibility of regular winter kickoffs at Rio Tinto Stadium in suburban Sandy, just outside Salt Lake City:
Do you want to play a soccer game here in January? There’s idealism, and then there’s realism. This is a very large country with different time zones and different weather climates. For me, it’s just not feasible to play the calendar they play in England or Spain.”
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 1
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"