Jan 5, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
The Red Bulls sure are working hard to ensure that this year’s team looks very, very little like last year’s team. It’s a bold play, considering last year’s healthy 16-9-9 record.
Just two years ago Lindpere may have been the most valuable Red Bulls man, setting a club record for minutes played, finishing tied for tops in assists and reliably manufacturing important goals out of the midfield.
Something happened in 2012, when he started slowly and seemed to lose the confidence of then-manager Hans Backe. So it was not wholly surprising when the Red Bulls traded their industrious Estonian on Saturday – although the return for Lindpere seems mighty sparse.
In exchange for the 31-year-old worker bee of a midfielder, the Red Bulls get an international roster spot.
That’s it. And that’s not a lot – even if the Red Bulls’ ongoing roster makeover seems a shoe-in to have a heavy European influence, which means they’ll be needing that international slot around the Harrison grounds.
For Chicago, this is a steal. While losing very little they get a man relentless, emotional, versatile midfielder. He can spell Alvaro Fernandez on the left. Or Lindpere can line up centrally, where he will offer more forward thrust from the center of the park than either Pavel Pardo or Logan Pause.
He’s easily more of a box-to-box type than either of those guys.
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 6
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 9
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris