Jan 5, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The Red Bulls sure are working hard to ensure that this year’s team looks very, very little like last year’s team. It’s a bold play, considering last year’s healthy 16-9-9 record.
Just two years ago Lindpere may have been the most valuable Red Bulls man, setting a club record for minutes played, finishing tied for tops in assists and reliably manufacturing important goals out of the midfield.
Something happened in 2012, when he started slowly and seemed to lose the confidence of then-manager Hans Backe. So it was not wholly surprising when the Red Bulls traded their industrious Estonian on Saturday – although the return for Lindpere seems mighty sparse.
In exchange for the 31-year-old worker bee of a midfielder, the Red Bulls get an international roster spot.
That’s it. And that’s not a lot – even if the Red Bulls’ ongoing roster makeover seems a shoe-in to have a heavy European influence, which means they’ll be needing that international slot around the Harrison grounds.
For Chicago, this is a steal. While losing very little they get a man relentless, emotional, versatile midfielder. He can spell Alvaro Fernandez on the left. Or Lindpere can line up centrally, where he will offer more forward thrust from the center of the park than either Pavel Pardo or Logan Pause.
He’s easily more of a box-to-box type than either of those guys.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:51 PM EST
Manchester City’s comeback from two down gives Pellegrini his first win over Guardiola, though Bayern still claim Group D.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
The 1-0 win will help vent some of the mounting pressure off David Moyes and his men, at least for now:
Dec 10, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
Tuesday’s match in Istanbul was suspended after 31 minutes when a flash hail storm halted Galatasaray-Juventus.
Dec 10, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
There was a time at Toronto when Frei stood out among the best of Major League Soccer goalkeepers:
Dec 10, 2013, 2:25 PM EST
What a weekend it was in the Barclays Premier League. Here’s the Team of the Week:
Dec 10, 2013, 12:57 PM EST
The 37-year-old leaves a legacy that includes a MLS Cup championship in 2010, nine MLS All-Star appearances and two World Cups.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
If they decide to build a new home for the Blaugrana it’s expected to cost in the region of $412 million.
Dec 10, 2013, 10:11 AM EST
“We have an agreement to extend the loan for an extra year if Barcelona don’t need Deulofeu,” Martinez admitted following the draw at the Emirates.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:32 AM EST
The Anderlecht man attributed the diagnosis to growing up in California where the sun shines strong throughout the year.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:40 AM EST
It’s believed Eto’o will move to Los Angeles Galaxy, DC United and Club Deportivo Chivas USA, Seattle Sounders or Chicago Fire.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:53 AM EST
Groups A through D finish on Tuesday, with the tournament’s holders and England’s champions hoping to clinch top spots.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Whoever is next up in the Whitecaps’ managerial seat would surely love to have a 22-goal scorer to build around:
Dec 9, 2013, 10:50 PM EST
Still a highly regarded goalkeeper, Nielsen calls it quits just 48 hours after winning MLS Cup 2013:
Dec 9, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Might the wandering Goats actually do something right?
Dec 9, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Once again, Major League Soccer will become the globe’s first league to employ the new World Cup match ball:
Dec 9, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Chicago’s Chris Rolfe, Houston’s Bobby Boswell, Seattle’s Steve Zakuani among the intriguing options:
Dec 9, 2013, 8:18 PM EST
Don’t miss the last save from the package, an absolute show-stopper from Aston Villa’s U.S. international Brad Guzan:
Dec 9, 2013, 8:01 PM EST
An alternative look at all the action from Week 15 of the PL:
Dec 9, 2013, 7:53 PM EST
Who says the MLS off-season is too short?
Dec 9, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
Round 15’s Team of the Week includes a throwback man in John Arne Riise:
- Manchester City comeback ends Bayern Munich’s record run; defending champions still win Group D 0
- Update: Storm in Istanbul sees Galatasaray-Juventus abandoned in UEFA Champions League 0
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 1
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014