Jan 7, 2013, 10:08 AM EST
My feelings on managers with no MLS experience are on record
Long story short, any new manager can succeed, and any new manager can potentially stink up the joint. But generally speaking, experience with the unique challenges of Major League Soccer significant boosts those chances of success.
Clearly, the Montreal Impact do not feel that way.
Either that, or Marco Schallibaum has such a fantastic soccer brain, the deciders of the Saputo family-owned club were blown away by his ideas.
The Impact were more than credible during their expansion season in 2012, and manager Jesse Marsch’s experience in the league – he played 14 seasons in MLS – was surely among the elements of first-year success.
But that’s all history now. Schallibaum’s managerial experience over almost 20 years has been exclusively in Switzerland.
So he has just a few days to sort out the MLS Draft, and then begin prepping the team as it arrives into pre-season camp a few days later.
- UEFA Champions League recap: Man United, Bayern join Real, PSG as group winners 0
- Where They Stand: Who’s in, who’s out after Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League action 0
- A dreaded World Cup draw having arrived, Jurgen Klinsmann’s transformative efforts are about to pay off 2
- Manchester City comeback ends Bayern Munich’s record run; defending champions still win Group D 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit