Jan 7, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
Count me “all in” for a democratic process. I mean, who doesn’t like democracy?
And variety in opinion is the spice of life, eh?
But c’mon! Are some of these people serious with their voting in the FIFA player of the year awards? Because we made need a re-think on this process if it’s going to be like this.
If you don’t think Leo Messi is the best player in the world, no problem! Maybe you like Cristiano Ronaldo. Or maybe you are an Andres Iniesta man. Heck, you could even make a case for Radamel Falcao or Robin van Persie or even a couple of others, guys who ware not even doggone finalists.
But Mario freakin’ Balotelli? Who could turn in that vote with a straight face?
At least three, apparently. He was on three of the captains’ votes, including the ballot belonging to Austria’s Christian Fuchs. Managers, captains and one journalist from each member association had a vote.
Some other instances of voting that checked the box under “interesting” or “irresponsible” or “just plain wrong.”
- The very worst of the voting worst probably belongs to Brazilian scoring ace Marta, herself a five-time Women’s Player of the Year winner. Considering that the three finalists this year were herself, plus Americans Alex Morgan and Abby Wambach, she would have a hard time explaining how her vote included neither of the other two finalists. Seriously, girl?
- National team captains and national team managers get votes. U.S. captain Carlos Bocanegra’s ballot had Messi, Ronaldo and Radamel Falcao as Nos. 1, 2 and 3. Nice touch, actually, to select Falcao, a fellow Spanish league man. (Although Iniesta plays in La Liga, too.) As we told you earlier, Klinsmann’s went with Messi, Andrea Pirlo and Ronaldo, in that order.
- Journalist Rob Harris helped point out on Twitter than Ashley Williams voted van Persie in the No. 3 spot, “despite nearly killing him.” All part of the game, I suppose.
- Jaba Kankava, captain of Georgia, where they are apparently a little behind on the news, voted Wayne Rooney at top spot.
- The ballot for Germany manager Joachim Low was Mesut Özil, Manuel Neuer and Xavi. (Those first two were his own players, at least.)
- All the voting, in all its flawed glory, is here in dizzying spreadsheet form.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
A winger, Veron scored eight times in 52 appearances for Argentine power San Lorenzo.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:09 PM EDT
Full marks to the Sounders for not pointing out that Portland has a player named Peay.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
L’Equipe says FMF representatives met with Bielsa’s people on Tuesday morning and France, and that Bielsa is interested.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
The “end of the year” promise could be the real deal, but the nation has certainly taken its time.
Aug 4, 2015, 6:22 PM EDT
The transfer window hasn’t closed, but a lot of the names who’ve climbed through it have us salivating for Saturday’s start to the Premier League season.
Aug 4, 2015, 5:33 PM EDT
Keeping Bale and Benzema around will keep Madrid among the favorites for the UEFA Champions League, as the giants search for Undecima.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:47 PM EDT
Picking a group of five defenders is way more difficult than selecting the best goalkeepers in the league.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
McInerney, however, has disappointed in recent seasons. Perhaps a change in leader, albeit for the second time, will help.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT
At Roma, Dzeko will join a loaded attack which includes Mattia Destro, Victor Ibarbo and Seydou Doumbia, as well as Francesco Totti.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Ever wonder where the games you’re watching on TV are taking place? Here’s a guide to help you out.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
D.C. United, LA Galaxy, RSL, Vancouver and Seattle fly the MLS flag as they look to break Liga MX’s stronghold.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
This coin toss is a really, really big deal for the four teams left in the competition.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:20 PM EDT
Should a PL giant hand Zlatan a chance to strut his stuff in England’s top-flight?
Aug 4, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Here are the latest rumors from around the PL.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
Blues boss hugely complimentary of the PL’s other big boys heading into the new season.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Rog, Davo, Mustoe and Earle hang out in the panic room and preview the upcoming PL season.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:37 AM EDT
Eight years after a loan spell, Gradel returns to Bournemouth.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Dutch club reach “agreement in outline” with Bundesliga side Bremen for AJ.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
Apparently Louis van Gaal really, really wants Gareth Bale on his team.
Aug 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EDT
Could the USMNT forward be thinking about a move to the Bundesliga?
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3