Jan 7, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
Count me “all in” for a democratic process. I mean, who doesn’t like democracy?
And variety in opinion is the spice of life, eh?
But c’mon! Are some of these people serious with their voting in the FIFA player of the year awards? Because we made need a re-think on this process if it’s going to be like this.
If you don’t think Leo Messi is the best player in the world, no problem! Maybe you like Cristiano Ronaldo. Or maybe you are an Andres Iniesta man. Heck, you could even make a case for Radamel Falcao or Robin van Persie or even a couple of others, guys who ware not even doggone finalists.
But Mario freakin’ Balotelli? Who could turn in that vote with a straight face?
At least three, apparently. He was on three of the captains’ votes, including the ballot belonging to Austria’s Christian Fuchs. Managers, captains and one journalist from each member association had a vote.
Some other instances of voting that checked the box under “interesting” or “irresponsible” or “just plain wrong.”
- The very worst of the voting worst probably belongs to Brazilian scoring ace Marta, herself a five-time Women’s Player of the Year winner. Considering that the three finalists this year were herself, plus Americans Alex Morgan and Abby Wambach, she would have a hard time explaining how her vote included neither of the other two finalists. Seriously, girl?
- National team captains and national team managers get votes. U.S. captain Carlos Bocanegra’s ballot had Messi, Ronaldo and Radamel Falcao as Nos. 1, 2 and 3. Nice touch, actually, to select Falcao, a fellow Spanish league man. (Although Iniesta plays in La Liga, too.) As we told you earlier, Klinsmann’s went with Messi, Andrea Pirlo and Ronaldo, in that order.
- Journalist Rob Harris helped point out on Twitter than Ashley Williams voted van Persie in the No. 3 spot, “despite nearly killing him.” All part of the game, I suppose.
- Jaba Kankava, captain of Georgia, where they are apparently a little behind on the news, voted Wayne Rooney at top spot.
- The ballot for Germany manager Joachim Low was Mesut Özil, Manuel Neuer and Xavi. (Those first two were his own players, at least.)
- All the voting, in all its flawed glory, is here in dizzying spreadsheet form.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:44 PM EDT
Liverpool’s captain-in-waiting is reportedly set to sign a new long-term deal at Anfield.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
PSG and Bayern Munich did themselves no favors in the first leg, but it’s still 90 minutes from over.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:16 PM EDT
In FIFA and Qatar’s latest installment of “No, We’re Not Joking, We’re Serious”…
Apr 20, 2015, 5:27 PM EDT
Steve Cherundolo got a promotion on Monday, under less than desirable circumstances, but he’s still advancing in the coaching world rather quickly.
Apr 20, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
He’ll be an MLS MVP one day, but for now Fabian Castillo will have to settle for MLS Player of the Week.
Apr 20, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Week 7 was chock full of goals — some really great ones, in fact — making this week’s Team of the Week tough to pick.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
With five weeks to go, in-form sides are surging up our rankings of power.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Listen to the latest MiB pod, right here.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT
The Blues are inching towards the 2014-15 title but many are unimpressed with their defensive displays. Let’s sit down and think about this.
Apr 20, 2015, 1:18 PM EDT
If the Gunners win the FA Cup next month it could well book Spurs a place in the Europa League. Seriously.
Apr 20, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor takes a look back at Week 33 in the PL.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
Blatter: “Nothing will get in the way of Russia hosting the best ever World Cup.”
Apr 20, 2015, 10:14 AM EDT
Bayern’s boss positive his side can overturn 3-1 deficit in Tuesday’s second leg.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Earle and Mustoe dissect Chelsea’s defensive display and much more in the latest podcast.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:24 AM EDT
Do United need a new winger? LVG has already made his move for Depay.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:31 AM EDT
Welsh superstar to miss Wednesday’s clash against Atletico Madrid after picking up calf injury.
Apr 19, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo…Eden Hazard?
Apr 19, 2015, 10:09 PM EDT
With clubs such as Liverpool and Manchester United reportedly interested in signing the Burnley goalscorer, Ings has said he will only go where he can get consistent playing time.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT
The Portland Timbers had to grind out a win at Yankee Stadium, just squeaking by a David Villa-less NYCFC.
Apr 19, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Despite losing to Chelsea over the weekend, Robbie Earle and Kyle Martino think Manchester United is already looking ahead to next season’s Premier League title chase.
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United prove they can challenge Chelsea for the title 2
- Sepp Blatter: Putin, Russia will host “best ever World Cup” in 2018 3
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale set to miss three weeks, Champions League clash vs. Atletico, with injury 1