Jan 7, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
Count me “all in” for a democratic process. I mean, who doesn’t like democracy?
And variety in opinion is the spice of life, eh?
But c’mon! Are some of these people serious with their voting in the FIFA player of the year awards? Because we made need a re-think on this process if it’s going to be like this.
If you don’t think Leo Messi is the best player in the world, no problem! Maybe you like Cristiano Ronaldo. Or maybe you are an Andres Iniesta man. Heck, you could even make a case for Radamel Falcao or Robin van Persie or even a couple of others, guys who ware not even doggone finalists.
But Mario freakin’ Balotelli? Who could turn in that vote with a straight face?
At least three, apparently. He was on three of the captains’ votes, including the ballot belonging to Austria’s Christian Fuchs. Managers, captains and one journalist from each member association had a vote.
Some other instances of voting that checked the box under “interesting” or “irresponsible” or “just plain wrong.”
- The very worst of the voting worst probably belongs to Brazilian scoring ace Marta, herself a five-time Women’s Player of the Year winner. Considering that the three finalists this year were herself, plus Americans Alex Morgan and Abby Wambach, she would have a hard time explaining how her vote included neither of the other two finalists. Seriously, girl?
- National team captains and national team managers get votes. U.S. captain Carlos Bocanegra’s ballot had Messi, Ronaldo and Radamel Falcao as Nos. 1, 2 and 3. Nice touch, actually, to select Falcao, a fellow Spanish league man. (Although Iniesta plays in La Liga, too.) As we told you earlier, Klinsmann’s went with Messi, Andrea Pirlo and Ronaldo, in that order.
- Journalist Rob Harris helped point out on Twitter than Ashley Williams voted van Persie in the No. 3 spot, “despite nearly killing him.” All part of the game, I suppose.
- Jaba Kankava, captain of Georgia, where they are apparently a little behind on the news, voted Wayne Rooney at top spot.
- The ballot for Germany manager Joachim Low was Mesut Özil, Manuel Neuer and Xavi. (Those first two were his own players, at least.)
- All the voting, in all its flawed glory, is here in dizzying spreadsheet form.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Maxi Urruti and Fabian Espindola both snatched braces as MLS sides went atop their groups.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Despite saying in June he would step down after the World Cup, the former Real Madrid manager has made a U-turn.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
USMNT captain Clint Dempsey was Seattle’s savior in extra time as he delivered the winner in a 3-1 win and lifted his first-ever club trophy.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
President of Toronto’s ownership group, Tim Leiweke had harsh words for the Toronto FC locker room. Michael Bradley disagrees.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
Insanely strict new rules proposed by FA chairman Greg Dyke would eliminate non-EU players from the lower leagues completely and slash the amount in the Premier League by around 50%.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
We now know why Jonas Gutierrez has barely featured for Newcastle in the last year or so.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT
The man who can’t stay on the pitch has tweaked a very problematic part of his body.
Sep 16, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Benzema bags Real’s fifth goal on Tuesday, which turned out to be their 1000th goal in continental competitions. Wowza.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
Gerrard scores last-gasp winner, but Liverpool under-performed again in narrow win.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
Arsenal’s captain notes the danger of falling behind at BVB, while Klopp calls his teams performance “nearly perfection.”
Sep 16, 2014, 5:13 PM EDT
Contrasting fortunes for PL sides, as eight games kick off the new UCL season. Find out what happened, right here.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
A dominant performance from the 2012-13 finalists made easy work of the visiting Gunners.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Dramatic finale at Anfield as Liverpool leave it late to beat Bulgarian minnows.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
Okay, so it’s 66.5 goals but you know the rules of rounding and Diego Costa is your proverbial example of being on fire.
Sep 16, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Real fly out of the traps, while Arsenal are caught on their heels. Updates on all eight games, right here.
Sep 16, 2014, 3:08 PM EDT
Remember that time Jose Mourinho told Frank Lampard he was the best player in the world … in the shower? No? Oh, right. That’s because you have to watch this.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Kaka was obvious, but who else is making the move from USL PRO to Major League Soccer next season?
Sep 16, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
The fairly-even history between Philadelphia and Seattle meets at a momentous crossroads tonight at PPL Park in Chester.
Sep 16, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
Manchester United, Aston Villa leap up the list after impressive wins on the weekend.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
The jacked-up keeper was released by Hoffenheim last season as his body became too muscular to stand between the sticks (at least according to the club).
- Captain Clint fires Seattle Sounders to US Open Cup crown in 3-1 extra time win over Philadelphia 3
- Report: FA to overhaul work permit rules to cut down on non-EU players 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Liverpool win late; Real Madrid, Dortmund victorious 0
- Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Arsenal: Gunners outclassed by BVB 4
- Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets: Gerrard grabs last-gasp winner after scare 0
- Premier League player of month on pace for 67 goals (video) 0