Jan 8, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
So, let’s just make sure we have our facts and our timeline straight regarding the bizarre situation that has
developed unraveled at Toronto FC.
Because it’s important to be sure we have everything sorted out just so before launching into the proper scolding, chiding, yukking-it-up and the general comeuppance.
- Kevin Payne was recently hired away from D.C. United to turn around the soccer operation at Toronto FC, where long-suffering fans have watched the organization stumble comically in competitive matters since first kick back in 2007. (Seriously, those fans deserve one really great video box set each, or some kick-ass Groupons … something!)
- Payne, with a spotted history of coaching hires at D.C. United, leaning on a trusting relationship with Ryan Nelsen that goes back more than a decade, talks the highly respected QPR defender into retiring as a player to take over as TFC manager.
- Payne dismisses Paul Mariner, who held the coaching post.
- This is where it gets weird.
- At the press conference today to introduce Nelsen as the new man in charge, the bottom falls out of this one. Completely.
- We learn that Nelsen will apparently remain in England, holding his spot along Queens Park Rangers back line until further notice.
- Uh, what!?
- Meanwhile, Bowdoin College coach (Yes, that Bowdoin College) Fran O’Leary will run the team. And will oversee the team’s selections in the Jan. 17 MLS Draft, apparently.
- And the MLS player combine down in Florida, where every other coach, GM, technical director, etc. will find themselves next week? Nah. Nelsen will be in London, dealing with the QPR mess rather than begin to sort out the TFC mess.
- Head scratching on a grand scale ensues.
- The obvious question for Payne, regarding Nelsen’s status at QPR, is this: “What did Payne know, and when did he know it?” Yes, it’s very Washington scandal-ish, isn’t it? Which is ironic, considering all of Payne’s years in Washington.
- I find myself feeling a little silly for writing this, applauding TFC’s coaching hire.
- At this point, I decide that my head hurts, and that I need a sandwich before dealing with this for another second.
Stay tuned for more … Because there certainly will be more to talk about here.
Jul 24, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
After seeing time with the senior squad, 18-year-old prospect will be sidelined infinitely.
Jul 24, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
The Colombian striker takes a few hacks before AS Monaco’s friendly in Miami against Atletico National.
Jul 24, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Limited to just 16 matches last year after his big transfer from Liverpool to West Ham, Carroll is battling another ailment this season.
Jul 24, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
The rags-to-riches defender steps away from the pitch, at least as a player, while reflecting on his career journey from North America to Europe and back.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
Herrera chats exclusively to PST: “If we are a humble team and we work hard, we will achieve our objectives and we will win trophies.”
Jul 24, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
His dad played for El Tri, but California-born Fernando Arce Jr says his U-20 bow with the States makes him an American player “forever”
Jul 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Aston Villa, Manchester United and Manchester City all cruised, while Spurs had to find a late winner after coughing up a two-goal lead.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
What about the Premier League? Bundesliga? Serie A?
Jul 24, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Goran Milanovic is hoping the former American prodigy chooses to revitalize his career with FK Jagodina in the Serbian top flight.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
One of the best stories is United States men’s soccer history is about to move past the “playing career” chapter.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
How big of a deal is the Chelsea legend signing for New York City FC? It’s up there.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
Lampard: “I want to test myself, carry on challenging myself, I want to be that leader and that person on and off the pitch that can make things happen for this club.”
Jul 24, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
The 36-year-old becomes New York City FC’s fourth player.
Jul 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
The Manchester United boss proves that even Premier League training sessions sometimes echo your experiences on a youth travel team.
Jul 24, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
The Reds striker spends some time with the NBCSN broadcast crew during Liverpool and AS Roma’s ‘Football at Fenway’
Jul 24, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
The Ecuadorian star winger, 24, joins Gylfi Sigurdsson and Bafetimbi Gomis as players to beef up Garry Monk’s attack
Sporting Club announces plans for $75 million “soccer village” for US Soccer National Training Center
Jul 24, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Well, this sounds nice…
Jul 24, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
The growing mess in Israel carried over onto the soccer fields of Austria, where Maccabi Haifa played a preseason friendly against Lille.
Jul 24, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
Almost 90,000 fans in Los Angeles watched Manchester United put an old-fashioned punking on their hosts. And then both sides reacted.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
Surely one of these clubs enjoyed the sweeter side of this deal and here we set out to see who it was.
- EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United’s new signing Ander Herrera focused on success 0
- Serbian boss: Freddy Adu sought by Europa, UCL clubs in Serbia, Cyprus 0
- Frank Lampard delighted to sign for New York City FC, start MLS adventure 0
- Official: Frank Lampard unveiled as New York City FC’s latest signing 3
- Sporting Club announces plans for $75 million “soccer village” for US Soccer National Training Center 11
- “Embarrassed” in LA, thrilled in Manchester: Reactions to 7-0 beatdown 28