Jan 8, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
So, let’s just make sure we have our facts and our timeline straight regarding the bizarre situation that has
developed unraveled at Toronto FC.
Because it’s important to be sure we have everything sorted out just so before launching into the proper scolding, chiding, yukking-it-up and the general comeuppance.
- Kevin Payne was recently hired away from D.C. United to turn around the soccer operation at Toronto FC, where long-suffering fans have watched the organization stumble comically in competitive matters since first kick back in 2007. (Seriously, those fans deserve one really great video box set each, or some kick-ass Groupons … something!)
- Payne, with a spotted history of coaching hires at D.C. United, leaning on a trusting relationship with Ryan Nelsen that goes back more than a decade, talks the highly respected QPR defender into retiring as a player to take over as TFC manager.
- Payne dismisses Paul Mariner, who held the coaching post.
- This is where it gets weird.
- At the press conference today to introduce Nelsen as the new man in charge, the bottom falls out of this one. Completely.
- We learn that Nelsen will apparently remain in England, holding his spot along Queens Park Rangers back line until further notice.
- Uh, what!?
- Meanwhile, Bowdoin College coach (Yes, that Bowdoin College) Fran O’Leary will run the team. And will oversee the team’s selections in the Jan. 17 MLS Draft, apparently.
- And the MLS player combine down in Florida, where every other coach, GM, technical director, etc. will find themselves next week? Nah. Nelsen will be in London, dealing with the QPR mess rather than begin to sort out the TFC mess.
- Head scratching on a grand scale ensues.
- The obvious question for Payne, regarding Nelsen’s status at QPR, is this: “What did Payne know, and when did he know it?” Yes, it’s very Washington scandal-ish, isn’t it? Which is ironic, considering all of Payne’s years in Washington.
- I find myself feeling a little silly for writing this, applauding TFC’s coaching hire.
- At this point, I decide that my head hurts, and that I need a sandwich before dealing with this for another second.
Stay tuned for more … Because there certainly will be more to talk about here.
Mar 29, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
If Adnan Januzaj wants to make a return to the Belgium squad, he must focus on earning playing time at his club first.
Mar 29, 2015, 8:13 AM EDT
An agreement has reportedly been reached between the current American owner and a domestic ownership group.
Mar 29, 2015, 7:34 AM EDT
Gareth Bale knows what people are saying about his recent play at Real Madrid, but he’s not listening.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Catch up on all the action from Week 4 of the MLS season.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:41 PM EDT
A disappointing result for FCD, given Seattle’s lack of Dempsey and Martins, but a great one considering their early red card.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:06 PM EDT
Three more points for Vancouver, who win it late on Robert Earnshaw’s Whitecaps debut. He scores for everyone.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
It was the late, late, late show at RFK Stadium, and despite being thoroughly outplayed, D.C. United go home with three points.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Sporting KC get their first victory of the season, while NYCFC suffer their first defeat of the year — and history.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
It wasn’t a great day to be a traditional European giant, but it was a great day to be Gareth Bale and Wales.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
A dominant performance — and the three points to match — from the Revs…finally.
Mar 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Think that MLS playing through int’l windows isn’t a big deal? Let’s ask Orlando City what they think about it.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
Campbell was capped 73 times, and is England’s second-youngest captain. Clearly he knows that, too.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EDT
The Canaries finished in 7th place last season in the Veikkausliiga, Finland’s top-flight.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
Should the States’ losses in friendlies represent anything other than a concern at the lack of US youth readiness for the big stage?
Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
This likely comes as a surprise to Liverpool fans, as Johnson is widely treated rightly or wrongly as a scapegoat by Reds supporters.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT
Does the embattled USMNT coach have a point? I’m again bracing for the comment section when I say… I think so.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:55 AM EDT
The States are 1-4 in their last five matches, all four coming on the road (Colombia, Ireland, Chile and Denmark).
- Report: Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner set to sell team to UK group 0
- MLS roundup: Whitecaps, D.C. United win late ones; FCD, Sounders in disappointing draw 1
- MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 0-0 Seattle Sounders 0
- MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 Portland Timbers 1
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 1-0 LA Galaxy 1
- MLS Snapshot: New York City FC 0-1 Sporting Kansas City 4