Jan 8, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
So, let’s just make sure we have our facts and our timeline straight regarding the bizarre situation that has
developed unraveled at Toronto FC.
Because it’s important to be sure we have everything sorted out just so before launching into the proper scolding, chiding, yukking-it-up and the general comeuppance.
- Kevin Payne was recently hired away from D.C. United to turn around the soccer operation at Toronto FC, where long-suffering fans have watched the organization stumble comically in competitive matters since first kick back in 2007. (Seriously, those fans deserve one really great video box set each, or some kick-ass Groupons … something!)
- Payne, with a spotted history of coaching hires at D.C. United, leaning on a trusting relationship with Ryan Nelsen that goes back more than a decade, talks the highly respected QPR defender into retiring as a player to take over as TFC manager.
- Payne dismisses Paul Mariner, who held the coaching post.
- This is where it gets weird.
- At the press conference today to introduce Nelsen as the new man in charge, the bottom falls out of this one. Completely.
- We learn that Nelsen will apparently remain in England, holding his spot along Queens Park Rangers back line until further notice.
- Uh, what!?
- Meanwhile, Bowdoin College coach (Yes, that Bowdoin College) Fran O’Leary will run the team. And will oversee the team’s selections in the Jan. 17 MLS Draft, apparently.
- And the MLS player combine down in Florida, where every other coach, GM, technical director, etc. will find themselves next week? Nah. Nelsen will be in London, dealing with the QPR mess rather than begin to sort out the TFC mess.
- Head scratching on a grand scale ensues.
- The obvious question for Payne, regarding Nelsen’s status at QPR, is this: “What did Payne know, and when did he know it?” Yes, it’s very Washington scandal-ish, isn’t it? Which is ironic, considering all of Payne’s years in Washington.
- I find myself feeling a little silly for writing this, applauding TFC’s coaching hire.
- At this point, I decide that my head hurts, and that I need a sandwich before dealing with this for another second.
Stay tuned for more … Because there certainly will be more to talk about here.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
The proposed moves would leave only 10 days prep time before the World Cup began, and would also alter the UEFA Champions League schedule.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
What do you think? Mean-spirited to the public or just a decent Candid Camera-style prank?
Oct 30, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
“I’ve got 30 and 34-year-olds in my locker room in tears because we feel it’s been unfairly taken away from us,” said coach Carl Robinson.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
And it’s claimed that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger will sign a veteran back from Juventus, bucking his trends of signing attackers and youth.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:19 AM EDT
PSS Sleman and PSIS Semarang have been disqualified from their country’s playoffs after conceding five own goals in their their match.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:44 AM EDT
Michel converted the penalty past David Ousted, and FC Dallas hung on for the win in an otherwise fast-paced, fun game in Texas.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
Carlos Vela is set to return to the Mexican National Team making them a much more dangerous side.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Nothing like a behind-the-scenes World Cup doc to pique the interest.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
Vincent Tan. Coming to a MLS club near you!
Oct 29, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Steve Zakuani. A supremely talented player, forced to call it quits way too early.
Oct 29, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Franck Ribery is short but probably not the kind of guy you want to mess with.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
A late equalizer from Mario Balotelli helps spur the rally that sees Liverpool into the League Cup quarter-finals.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
Add another Arsenal attacker to the roster.
Oct 29, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT
Beware, Premier League footballers. The FA is all over Twitter.
Oct 29, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Raul signs with the Cosmos, will head up the youth program upon retirement.
Oct 29, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
Mandzukic makes a meal of it and the Royal Spanish Football Federation eats it up.
Oct 29, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
In the lead up to the Manchester Derby, Aleksander Kolorov believes City have overtaken United as kings of Manchester.
Oct 29, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Garry Monk really, really doesn’t like officials.
Oct 29, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
The former Everton and Manchester United boss has been linked with a possible move to Real Sociedad.
Oct 29, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
The Nigerian Football Federation faces a seven-month ban if they do not comply with FIFA’s demands.
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 0
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 3
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 1
- League Cup Roundup: Balotelli saves Liverpool, Newcastle defeat Manchester City 0
- Report: Spanish legend Raul signs with the New York Cosmos 0