Jan 8, 2013, 9:02 AM EST
The soccer community did its little part last night for the Newtown community, as nearly 1,500 residents were able to take part in “Soccer Night in Newtown.” The event, organized by Houston Dynamo general manager and Connecticut native Chris Canetti featured Mia Hamm, Landon Donovan, Dwayne De Rosario, Cobi Jones, Kristine Lilly and Alexi Lalas (pictured) among the 40-or-so past and present professionals.
The event was for Newtown residents only, including the children of Sandy Hook Elementary.
Said MLS commissioner Don Garber: “That’s what so great about our sport. We come together quickly and in ways where players look forward to have the opportunity to give back.”
Here’s a video report from MLSSoccer.com:
- Arsenal could be own worst enemy as title challenge sees tension rise 0
- Arsenal 1-1 Everton: Late breakthroughs cancel as Deulofeu denies Arsenal all 3 points (Video) 2
- Real Salt Lake manager Jason Kreis sounds like a man about to leave 3
- Premier League Sunday Preview: Arsenal host Everton, Aston Villa travel to Fulham 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (30)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)