Jan 8, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
The soccer community did its little part last night for the Newtown community, as nearly 1,500 residents were able to take part in “Soccer Night in Newtown.” The event, organized by Houston Dynamo general manager and Connecticut native Chris Canetti featured Mia Hamm, Landon Donovan, Dwayne De Rosario, Cobi Jones, Kristine Lilly and Alexi Lalas (pictured) among the 40-or-so past and present professionals.
The event was for Newtown residents only, including the children of Sandy Hook Elementary.
Said MLS commissioner Don Garber: “That’s what so great about our sport. We come together quickly and in ways where players look forward to have the opportunity to give back.”
Here’s a video report from MLSSoccer.com:
- Watch Live: Chicago Fire vs. New England Revolution (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea blow it, Swansea, Spurs and Palace win 0
- VIDEO: Jose Mourinho’s sensational swipe at officials after Chelsea suffer shock defeat 5
- Chelsea 1-2 Sunderland: Blues’ title dreams in ruins, as Black Cats grab shock win (video) 5
- Newcastle United 1-2 Swansea City: Bony’s brace seals crucial win for Swans 0
- West Ham United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Eagles assure second season in Premier League 0