Jan 8, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
The soccer community did its little part last night for the Newtown community, as nearly 1,500 residents were able to take part in “Soccer Night in Newtown.” The event, organized by Houston Dynamo general manager and Connecticut native Chris Canetti featured Mia Hamm, Landon Donovan, Dwayne De Rosario, Cobi Jones, Kristine Lilly and Alexi Lalas (pictured) among the 40-or-so past and present professionals.
The event was for Newtown residents only, including the children of Sandy Hook Elementary.
Said MLS commissioner Don Garber: “That’s what so great about our sport. We come together quickly and in ways where players look forward to have the opportunity to give back.”
Here’s a video report from MLSSoccer.com:
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United prove they can challenge Chelsea for the title 2
- Sepp Blatter: Putin, Russia will host “best ever World Cup” in 2018 3
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale set to miss three weeks, Champions League clash vs. Atletico, with injury 1