Jan 8, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
The soccer community did its little part last night for the Newtown community, as nearly 1,500 residents were able to take part in “Soccer Night in Newtown.” The event, organized by Houston Dynamo general manager and Connecticut native Chris Canetti featured Mia Hamm, Landon Donovan, Dwayne De Rosario, Cobi Jones, Kristine Lilly and Alexi Lalas (pictured) among the 40-or-so past and present professionals.
The event was for Newtown residents only, including the children of Sandy Hook Elementary.
Said MLS commissioner Don Garber: “That’s what so great about our sport. We come together quickly and in ways where players look forward to have the opportunity to give back.”
Here’s a video report from MLSSoccer.com:
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 1
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 6