Jan 8, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
The soccer community did its little part last night for the Newtown community, as nearly 1,500 residents were able to take part in “Soccer Night in Newtown.” The event, organized by Houston Dynamo general manager and Connecticut native Chris Canetti featured Mia Hamm, Landon Donovan, Dwayne De Rosario, Cobi Jones, Kristine Lilly and Alexi Lalas (pictured) among the 40-or-so past and present professionals.
The event was for Newtown residents only, including the children of Sandy Hook Elementary.
Said MLS commissioner Don Garber: “That’s what so great about our sport. We come together quickly and in ways where players look forward to have the opportunity to give back.”
Here’s a video report from MLSSoccer.com:
- Home teams take leads in first legs of Europa League semifinals 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Two way tussle for top spot – Week 35 0
- Premier League Scenarios: Title Chase, Race for Europe and Relegation 2
- Report: Mix Diskerud targeted by New York City FC 3
- Manchester United have two transfer deals provisionally in place – Cavani, Shaw, Fabregas all on radar 0
- Chelsea approves Jose Mourinho’s desire to play ‘B Squad’ against Liverpool 8