Jan 8, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
Lest Toronto FC hog up all the snark and concern allocated to pro soccer in Canada today, let’s circle back to yesterday’s managerial hire at Montreal.
TSN’s Luke Wileman takes a good, balanced look at Montreal’s choice, Marco Schallibaum. That move was announced yesterday, as the longtime Swiss player and coach crosses continents to tackle a completely new challenge.
Wileman points out in his piece that Montreal president Joey Saputo wanted more of a teacher, and that Schallibaum fits the bill. And the club president wanted a coach who had mad language skills. So, check that box, too.
All of which is well and good, because those are certainly desirable qualities.
But as Wileman ticked off the general list of Saputo requirements, one was missing: MLS experience!
Does Saputo (pictured, left) have so little respect for his own league that some kind of working knowledge deserves “afterthought” status?
Does he not think that some degree of education on the special travel challenges (which almost every new player or manager mentions after coming aboard MLS) would be nice to have? Or that the unique player acquisition mechanisms are worth knowing? Or that some cultural knowledge of the American professional athlete would help in the psychology of it all?
The ultimate validation of Saputo’s choice will be in the win-loss record, I suppose. But this does raise alarm bells for me, at least.
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 3
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 2
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 3
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint